Chapter Eighteen

I gasp for breath to jump up looking around at my unfamiliar surroundings. What the hell? Where am I? My memories come flooding back to me and... Oh, I remember! I was following the man that had called Elena, Katherine and then he staked me. That bastard! My hand reaches towards my heart where the wound has now healed. How long had I been out anyways?

I slowly stand up and that is when I realize that I cannot breathe. I claw at my throat for air but there is an immense pressure being forced upon me. I weakly look around at my surroundings. The pounding in my head makes it almost impossible for me to stand. I quickly stumble out of the room, right into a vampire with a confused look on his face. I can tell he is the vampire the minute I make contact with him. I stumble backwards and gasp for air. The confused look disappears off his face. He regards me coolly before he touches a finger to his lips, signalling for me to be quiet.

He grabs my arm and suddenly, we are outside a couple hundred yards away from the house we just left. I gasp nosily for air, the cool air of the night is refreshing in my lungs.

"Who are you?" The vampire asks me.

Now that I'm not focused on getting air, I can get a clear look at his face. He appears to be a fairly young man and he is black.

"Alayne Mikaelson," I tell him quietly. "And you?"

"Harper."

"Thank you Harper," I say genuinely.

Harper points in the direction of the house. "I saw Frederick and Bethanne bring you back with a stake in your heart. How the hell did you survive?"

I decide that since he saved me, he deserved to know. "I am one of the Originals."

He does not seem to understand and I sigh exasperatedly.

"An Original, is one of the very first vampires created," I explain patiently. "We're impossible to kill."

"How is that?"

"Staking me just temporarily puts me out of commission and fire won't kill me."

Harper is quiet for a minute. "You are very strong."

I flash him a brilliant smile. "One of the strongest. How long was I out for?"

"They brought you in about two hours ago."

"Oh goody, it wasn't that long, I should go back and rip out their hearts now."

"NO!" Harper shouts at me.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Look, I appreciate you helping me and getting me out of that house but the thing is, I wouldn't have even been there if it wasn't for those two assholes in the first place."

"They said you were following them."

"That's not the point, the point is, they pissed me off and I want them dead right now!"

"You speak like a spoiled little brat."

I fling out arm and Harper goes slamming backwards against a tree. I pin him there and glare furiously at him. "Don't you dare speak to me like that again if you know what's good for you."

I drop him and I turn on my heels and run. Soon, I'm back at the boarding house and I slam the door on the way in. There doesn't seem to be anyone home so I run upstairs and take a quick shower, getting rid of the stink of death. Those idiots were definitely going to pay for what they tried on me. After my shower, I pull on a pair of leggings, throw over top an oversized sweater and pull on some warm fuzzy socks. Maybe I'd just relax tonight and go back tomorrow during the daylight.