Chapter Ten

I cover my mouth with my hands when I see that Damon has killed Lexi. I should have known that this was part of his plan from the beginning; I should have seen it coming. Damon pulls the stake out of her heart but I can see the damage has already been done. Lexi’s skin begins to turn grey and her veins are becoming prominent. She looks at Damon with glassy, dead eyes before dropping onto the ground.

“You okay?” I hear Damon ask the Sheriff and I can feel the blood boil in my veins. Did he really just defend the bitch that wanted us dead and kill a friend at the same time?

“Thank you,” the Sheriff replies. I watch as she just stares at Lexi’s body. “Get it in the car, quickly.”

When the Sheriff called Lexi an “it”, that was when I lost control. Moments ago, the sky was still clear but now, thunderclouds appeared and started rolling in. I could feel the wind pick up speed and suddenly the air was chilly. A lightning bolt flashes across the sky and thunder makes the ground rumble. The Sheriff has a terrified expression in her eyes as another bolt of lightning hits a streetlamp, setting it on fire. The streetlamp is blown off balance and it tilts in the direction of Damon and the Sheriff. Damon moves quickly though and shoves the Sheriff out of the way before the lamp can crush either of them.

“What’s going on?” breathes the Sheriff.

“Probably just some freak storm.” I hear Damon lie quickly.

It takes another couple rumbles of thunder and flashes of lightning before I can calm down enough to put of the fire. Since I’m too lazy to make it rain, I just use my magic to control the flames and they slowly die down.

“Freaky is the right word,” the Sheriff agrees. The two of them walk back into the Grill and that’s when I see Stefan and Elena come out of an alleyway. Stefan looks extremely pissed and Elena is running to catch up with him. I start walking towards Stefan as well.

“Stefan,” Elena calls. “Stefan, please wait.” She grabs onto his arm but he pulls it away.

“He killed her,” growls Stefan. “He killed Zach, he killed Tanner, and he turned Vicki. I have to kill him.”

“No you can’t do that,” Elena says.

“Elena, why are you trying to save him?!” Stefan shouts, exasperatedly. “He’s never going to change, don’t you see that? He’s never going to change.”

“I’m not trying to save him; I’m trying to save you. You have no idea what this is going to do to you, trust me.”

“Everywhere I go pain and death follows. Damon follows me. No more.”

“Stefan please, let me talk to you, let me be here for you.”

“No.” Stefan shakes his head. “You were right to stay away from me.” He walks away from Elena and towards me. “Are you on my side?”

“I don’t choose sides, but I’ll come see what happens.”

We run back to the boarding house at vampire speed and Damon is sitting in the lounge with a glass of brandy.

“Told you I’d take care of it,” he smirks. Stefan is clearly not impressed and either am I. I actually liked Lexi!

As quick as his animal diet allows him, Stefan is front of Damon and he delivers a punch to the side of his face. Then he grabs his brother and throws him across the room. Damon slams up against one of the cabinets. Stefan stalks over, grabs him by the collar and repeatedly starts throwing punches. Damon finally acknowledges that he is getting his ass kicked so he lashes out and kicks Stefan back across the room. Stefan is fuelled by rage so he is up immediately and he grabs Damon by the shirt collar and pins him against the doorframe.