Chapter Three

Neither Damon or Stefan are in the house when I get downstairs in the morning. Zach is sitting by himself at the kitchen table sipping a cup of freshly brewed coffee.

“I want the first month’s rent by this Friday,” Zach says out of nowhere.

“I thought Damon said I didn’t have to pay rent,” I say.

“Damon doesn’t own this house. I do,” Zach says sternly. “He doesn’t make the rules.”

“Funny,” I smirk. “You didn’t sound so confident when he was laying down the rules yesterday.”

“You don’t want to be siding with Damon,” warns Zach. “He’ll toy around with you and then he’ll eat you alive.”

“He wouldn’t be able to.”

“What?” questions Zach.

“I said he wouldn’t be able to eat me.” I repeat.

“You–” Zach starts but doesn’t get to finish because I cut him off.

My hand is clamped over his mouth and his eyes have gone wide. Zach starts panicking because one second, I was in front of the fridge and now I’m right next to him. I smirk.

“I am exactly what you think I am. You think you are so smart spiking the water with vervain but that doesn’t work on me. I’m stronger than that.” I let him go and he backs away a couple of paces.

“I invited you in,” he pants.

I smile wickedly. “Yes you did. You invited a vampire into your own house and you’re supposed to be on the town council.” My smile gets even wider. “And you even have relatives that are vampires.”

“How do you know?” Zach manages to ask.

“I told you, I’m way stronger than Damon and Stefan combined. I’m also part witch,” I add in as an afterthought.

“Impossible,” gasps Zach.

I prove him wrong by muttering under my breath and pointing a finger at him. Soon he is on his knees clawing at his throat and gasping for air.

“Stop,” he croaks. “Please, stop.”

I release him and he collapses on the floor.

“Who are you?” he asks me with wide eyes.

“I’m Alayne Mikaelson, part witch, part vampire,” I reply. “And you, Zach Salvatore, has pissed me off and now I have revealed too much information to you.”

Zach’s eyes widen some more as he knows what I’m going to do but before he can utter another word, I lift my hand and flick my wrist. I hear his neck break as his head snaps to the side and his corpse falls to the floor.

I carry the body to my car and dump it in the back seat before driving out of town. I’m about thirty minutes away from Mystic Falls before I stop the car and dump Zach’s body into the forest. Then, raising my hands, I conjure up a small flame in my palm. I dump the fire onto Zach and manipulate the flames as it devours his corpse. Soon, the only remains of Zach are his ashes.

I decide to have a little snack before returning to Mystic Falls. There is a gas station right outside of town so I stop there and walk inside. Lucky for me, it is a young, attractive male working.

“Hello,” I say in a friendly voice.

“Hi,” he smiles at me as his eyes rake up and down my body before landing on my face.

“I need a snack,” I say.

There is no one else at the gas station, it’s just the two of us.