Chapter Twenty-Two

Elena runs up to me. “I need to tell Stefan this, have you seen him anywhere?”

“No, how did your meeting with Isobel go?”

“Not good,” she says grimly. Jeremy approaches us at that moment.

“Hey have you guys heard or seen Anna?”

“Anna?” repeats Elena. “You’re still friends with her?

“We’re more than friends. Have you seen her?”

“No.”

“Elena, are you lying to me?”

“What, why would I do that?”

“Cut the crap,” Jeremy snaps. “I know what Anna is and I know that you know. I know what Aly and Stefan are as well.” Jeremy glares at me. “Some friend you are, you kept this from me.”

“I didn’t keep anything from you,” I reply. “You never asked me anything.”

“Whatever.” Jeremy shoves past us.

“Jeremy!” Elena calls after him but he ignores her.

“Give him a chance to cool off first,” I say to Elena. I leave her to look for Stefan.

The thick crowd of students isn’t making it easier for me to pinpoint Stefan’s location since there is so much noise and commotion. I move through the crowd, my eyes wide open to keep an eye out on things. Suddenly, there is a loud noise and lots of screaming. I push throw the crowd to find Matt stuck under one of the floats that has collapsed on top of him.

“AH!” screams Matt. “Hey, pick this trailer up, someone pick it up!”

Tyler and some of the other guys at school rush forward to help Matt but they aren’t strong enough to lift it.

“Get out of the way!” I snap at all the people who were just standing there watching.

I get to the front and grab a side of the float, easily helping the guys life it off Matt, who squirms out from underneath. Matt is down on the ground and Caroline rushes over.

“Caroline, call 911,” I order. I kneel down next to Matt and gingerly take his arm, inspecting it. It doesn’t look too bad damaged but he was going to have to suffer through the recovery process since half the town saw him get injured. I couldn’t feed him vampire blood or use magic to speed up the process.

After checking Matt for minimal injuries, I look around. That float did not just crush him by accident. Sure enough, I see Elena having an argument with her mother, Isobel. Elena suddenly spins around, as if she were searching frantically for something or someone.

“Jeremy? JEREMY?” My vampire hearing picks up. I glance around the group and Jeremy was missing. I look back to Elena and Isobel but her mother has now disappeared and Elena is standing there alone and frantic.

“Alayne,” Stefan is unexpectedly standing next to me. “We need to regroup, right now.”

I nod in agreement. Stefan fires off texts to our friends who he thinks will get involved and we all meet in Alaric’s classroom. When I get there, I see Bonnie sitting at one of the desks, Stefan leaning against the chalkboard and Elena pacing around the room nervously.

“Where’s the device?” Bonnie asks.

Stefan sighs. “Damon has it. He’s going to be difficult to reason with.”

“Then w-w-we’ll go to him. I’ll talk to him,” says Elena.

“He’s not just going to hand it over, especially if it is harmful to vampires,” I state.