ch. 7 My Trouble

The bell rang, dismissing us for the day. I packed up my things into my book bag and made my way down the crowded hall. There should be a class kids have to pass before they get into high school: How to walk in a Hallway 101. Rule number one: Don’t stop suddenly. Rule number 2: Make way for upperclassmen. Rule three-.

“Guess who got a D+ in Bio” Becky winked as she nudged me in the shoulder.

“Oh Becky, I’m sorry,” I spoke slowly.

She gave me a weird look.

“Sorry? I passed, stupid!”

“But you got a D, doesn’t that bother you?” I asked her hesitantly. Of course it didn’t bother her. As long as she was getting by, she didn’t care; she would take anything. 

“Another D and I get double d’s” she winked as she pushed up her breasts. She was saving up for surgery to make her already large breasts the size of melons. 

“Well, then I guess I’m happy for you?” I half asked, half smiled.

She shook her head. Then, she stopped walking when she saw someone in the parking lot.

“So,” she started. She always meant something by “so.”

“What? Who is it?” I asked her hesitantly. The crazy grin on her face sacred me. It always scared me.

“See for yourself,” she arched her eyebrows toward a tall, lean figure dressed in black leather and blue jeans, leaning against his bent-up black truck. Grey smoke clouded his already shadow-like presence. 

I turned around and started walking aimlessly toward the school again. Becky stood in my way.

“What are you doing?” she hissed.

“Leaving. What does it look like?” I retorted.

I didn’t even know why I was leaving. I just didn’t want Harry to see me. But why didn’t I want Harry to see me? Well, it did remind me of the night I was almost gang raped, plus, the insanely messed up dream I had had about him.

“Do you think he’ll let you drive the stick?” she winked suggestively.

My cheeks burned.

“Oh come on,” she said and she waved at Harry.

Harry nodded at Becky and stared at me as she pushed me all the way to his truck.

“Danny wanted me to pick you up,” he answered the question in my head, blowing a ring of smoke to the side.

I looked at him a long moment as if trying to get him to admit something. Harry’s been interrogated by the police dozens of times; a frail brunette with fearful doe eyes wasn’t exactly “intimidating” to him.

Harry didn’t blink.

He lowered his head as he ruffled his curls and then smoothed them to the side. He looked up again.

A few girls nearby smiled coyly at him.

Harry didn’t really notice; he hadn’t taken his eyes off of me. I looked down at my clothes, checking that I wasn’t naked or didn’t have anything on my face. Everything seemed normal, so why was he watching me so intently?

“Well, I guess I’ll be going then,” Becky murmured. She winked at me just before she left.

“Do you want a ride as well?” he asked quite politely, but his tone sounded unwilling to follow through with his offer.  

Becky shook her head, but I could see the gears in her brain moving. I always thought her brain was wired differently than mine, that was why she couldn’t remember the quadratic formula, but she could v and d together. I closed my eyes to clear my thoughts as images of my dream, my nightmare (I’m going to call it a nightmare since it makes me feel so uncomfortable) flooded back.