ch.13 What about Harry?

I looked out the window as Liam drove into Eastland. I’ve never been to Eastland to be honest, just seen some pictures and of course knew the kind of people that were here. But the pictures were outright lies in comparison to the courtyard palaces and skyscrapers that littered the glittering asphalt from left and right.  

“Wow” I gasped to myself, but Liam heard me.

He laughed lightly.

“I hope I can get you to say more than that by the end of the night” he teased.

I looked down, slightly embarrassed.

Eastland is his home. He grew up, amongst the power and prestige.  Judging from the rickety picket fence that half encloses my neighborhood, I don’t know much about luxury.

Liam put the car in park. I looked out the window as a sparkling white palace came into view.

I looked down at my phone and as it started beeping “out of area.” I put it on silence.

Liam opened my door and I took his arm as he walked me to the palace that was apparently the restaurant.

“Payne. Dinner for two” he told the man standing by the front desk.

“Mr. Payne, what a pleasure to see you. Right this way, sir” the man smiled in recognition.

I was glad Liam was leading me because I was mesmerized by everything in the restaurant. It all seemed to gleam and glowed, everything from the satin curtains to the crystal glasses and earthen candles on every table.

The man gave us the best seat in the house; it was off in a private lounge and had a panoramic view of the pier. It was Persimmon Pier, which can be seen in Westwood, but I’ve never seen it from Eastland’s perspective. You can barely make-out Westwood; there were hardly half as many gleaming lights as in Eastland, which I bet can be seen from outer space.

“Please tell me you’re going to say more than ‘wow’ this time” Liam spoke with a shy laugh.

I looked at him, almost having forgotten he was there.

“This is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen” I uttered in awe.

“I don’t know… It comes second in my book” Liam looked into my eyes and smiled coyly. 

I smiled down at the candle in the center of the table. The flame glowed, swaying to a euphoric rhythm of its own.

Looking around the room at the beautifully dressed couples, I found myself increasingly self-conscious at my simple dress.

“What’s wrong?” Liam asked me as he noticed the slightly worried look on my face.

“I don’t belong here” I shook my head shyly at the ground.

Liam reached over from across the table and took my hand in his.

“You’re the only real person here” he told me. “Everyone else” He motioned at the semi-crowded room of couples. “Everyone else is nothing more than the jewelry on their plastic necks and the satin sleeves on their suits” he told me. His voice was steady and undoubtedly honest, even if what he was saying was difficult for me to believe.   

“Hi, my name is Corinne, I’ll be your server for this evening” the waitress smiled amiably and her light-blonde curls bounced slightly. It felt weird being the one sitting and making the order instead of the one taking it. I almost wanted to go to the kitchen, put in the order and bring the food myself.

The woman took our drink orders.

“Have you had the Alfredo pasta?” Liam asked me.

I looked at him in shock. For a split-second, I saw Louis’s blue-black eyes winking at me. I shook my head to clear the on-set of unpleasant images.