ch.23 Words Unspoken

My eyes fluttered open slowly. I reached beside me for the warm, protective body that had held me so closely, so soothingly.

But he was gone.

Harry must have left recently because the window was slightly ajar and a slight breeze swiveled through, reminding me that my warmth, my gold was gone.

I sighed in understanding and disappointment.

Then, my gaze fell on a paper on my dresser. I looked closer and saw it was a note written in a swift and slanted hand.

There she lay,

Pure and golden,

A dream in my arms,

My words unspoken,

She begs me to stay,

I do- in a moment,

Yet she hides her wings,

Scared they are broken,

She flutters in fear,

She know not-

my heart is her token.

-Harry

 (NOTE: This is an original poem that I wrote, so please do NOT steal it!- Mariam Xx)

I read the note over and over and over again, imagining Harry reading it to me in his deep, raspy voice. I traced my index finger along the words and the letters and words he had traced especially hard- as if they might fly off the page if he hadn’t.

It was so beautifully written and thoughtful that I couldn’t believe Harry had written it himself- not because I didn’t think he was romantic, but because he was a man of action, a man of few words.

I kissed the part where he had signed his name and folded the note carefully, placing it delicately between my books.

***

Becky got up to get in line at the cafeteria. Quickly, I pulled out Harry’s note and read and re-read it until I had memorized every word. Then, I read it again because I didn’t trust my memory to do it justice.

***

Tucking the note carefully in between my books, I headed for the parking lot, eager to see Harry.

I wanted to ask him about a thousand things about the note as much as I wanted to kiss the lights that had murmured it and the hand that had written it. But, I decided it would be even better to test him- to pretend like I hadn’t even read the note and see if he would bring it up. Then, I would refuse to let him touch me until he recited it to in his deep, rough voice- just as I had imagined.

I scanned the lot, but he wasn’t there in his usual spot. He wasn’t anywhere.

“Looking for someone?” a smooth, but hoarse voice asked. I could hear him smiling.

“Nope,” I answered casually and walked off, smiling to myself.

Harry took my wrist. “Well I am,” he whispered, nibbling lightly on my ear.

He spun me around to face him and pulled me to his chest with one swift movement. I avoided his eyes for a moment teasingly and smiled down at the ground. 

Harry cupped my chin and tilted it up to face him.

“Did you get my note?” he asked slowly, letting the corner of his lips curl up ever-so slightly, eager for my reaction.