ch.19 Southern boys

“Oh,” I mumbled.

Liam looked into my eyes for a long moment. I could see the hope and disappointment mingling in his soft brown eyes. It was unbelievably painful.

A truck engine roared to life in the parking lot. I sighed in relief of the distraction.

Amongst the sea of anxious, clueless faces, I saw him. He stood so perfectly-still, like a Botticelli-     exquisitely carved. My eyes desperately scanned him for flaws.  But there were none. None on the surface.

He watched me carefully, longingly, making me feel as though I was the only person for miles. The only person he wanted to see.

Then his gaze fell to Liam and his fists clenched. Quickly, I turned to Liam, hoping I could blow him off at least temporarily- for his own sake.

“I have to go. I’ll get back to you on-- um that,” I told him hastily. 

He opened his mouth to speak, but disappointment closed it.

“Ok… I’ll call you,” he offered as he waved at me.  

My stomach churned uneasily. No, please don’t call, I sighed in my head. It would be less painful for him if I just broke his heart instead of Harry breaking his face.

“Hi Harry,” I greeted warmly, trying to distract him from Liam. I reached for the car door, but Harry blocked my way.

“What did he say?” Harry demanded as he stared down into my eyes. I saw his fists tighten in his pockets.

It didn’t work. I looked down.

“Angela,” he spoke as calmly as he could, lifting my chin to meet his gaze.

I turned to the entrance of the school, where I had left Liam. He stood there a moment, studying me and Harry. He kicked something with his shoe, then trudged off to his angelic car.

“He was just asking about history.”

“What history?” he asked raising his voice. “You have history with him!?” Harry demanded loudly.

I shook my head.

“Not that kind of history, history homework,” I clarified. “We have a test on the Civil War,” I answered in an incomprehensible mumble.

Harry was quiet a moment, as if debating whether or not to believe me. He knew I was a horrible liar, plus it didn’t look like he wanted to believe me. It looked like he wanted any excuse to go over and beat Liam with his bare hands.

“Well if he ever bothers you, tell me and I’ll get rid of him,” Harry ordered. He stood tall and proud, and honest to his word. For a moment, he really did look like those handsome, honorable, valorous soldiers.

I looked up into his hard, marble-like green eyes and found myself smiling.

He looked down at me- an expression of worry clouded his eyes. He had no idea what I was thinking and that scared him.

“You look like those Southern boys,” I smiled shyly.

He blinked. Then the corner of his red lips went up in a half-grin.

“I do?” he asked, wanting me to continue.

He took my hand and led me to the side of his truck, where no one was in view of us.

He leaned with his back against his truck as he pulled me close to him.

I nodded “yes,” letting my hands follow the contour of his chest. Harry licked his lips.

“You’ve got their charm,” I spoke in a hushed whisper- close to his neck. 

He grinned smugly, tightening his grip around my waist.

“You’ve got their pride,” I tucked a loose curl- that slightly covered his hypnotic green eyes- to the side.

“Is there a third reason?” he asked with a teasing grin as he recalled the last time I had given him three reasons. I had hundreds of reasons. I hoped he knew that.

“And, you would look very nice in those tight blue uniforms,” I purred against his ear as I traced the collar of his leather jacket.

I closed my arms around his neck as he wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me against him- in his trap. He leaned his head down and closed his lips over mine. He was careful this time, slow and careful, gently tugging at my lower lip with his teeth. Our tongues moved rhythmically, soothingly in beat. Instead of fighting for control and dominance (which he so easily won).

He moved back ever–so-slightly, so that he could look down into my eyes. Our lips were a hair’s breathe away

“I will fight for you, Angela,” he told me in a steady, honest voice. His warm breathe wove into my mouth and warmed my cheeks.  

I nodded. Not wanting him to speak. Not wanting him to do anything but just hold me. Just to hold me like I have been waiting for him to do for way too long.

“I will fight to hold you, to kiss you, to have you for myself. And only for myself,” he continued.

“You don’t have to fight” I shook my head. As beautifully sacrificial as it was that he wanted to fight and was willing to fight for me, I didn’t want him to constantly feel like he had to hurt others in order to protect me. And I definitely didn’t want his beautiful face and heavenly body to be bruised black and blue.

"I would die--”

“Don’t ever say that, Harry” I ordered him this time.

He nodded. 

I kissed his neck, his cheek, his jawline his nose, hoping to reassure him that he we could just enjoy the time we had together. Something twisted in the pit of my stomach. I knew we only had limited time. And even in that time, we weren’t meant to enjoy it in peace.

I shook my head to clear my paranoid thoughts. Right now, right now we are happy and that’s all that matters.