// six //

"i'm going." i told sade, we kept arguing about the matty-george-party-room situation and how defensive she was when i brought up the fact that she danced with george and got super drunk when she promised me she wouldn't. "oh, you wouldn't dare." she eyed me.

"i said i'm going, i'm going to matty's gig and there's nothing you can do about it." i said firmly while fixing my hair by the front door mirror. "lennon, you'll regret it if you go. it's a social event, a gig is a social event, for christ's sake! you hate social events and it's like parties." her failed attempt in trying to convince me not to go made me roll my eyes. "well, you should've thought about what would happen if you nearly hooked up with his best mate at a social event that's like parties and is one." i tried to outsmart her. "i told him i wanted to throw up and he said that i look hot and things escalated and... holy shit i owe him a new jacket!"

i rolled my eyes and it adds up to the countless times i've done it in this conversation, "you don't owe him a new jacket, sade". "yes i do, especially after i... i'm not even gonna continue that sentence." she quickly said. "and i'm not even going to question more about it." i returned with an awfully shocked look, "anyways i'll be off somewhere." i fixed my hair one last time and walked to the front door. "where are you going?" sade curiously asked. "somewhere with someone," my eyes shifted from the keys i was holding and her face, "nothing you should be concerned about, that's all." she folded her arms across her chest, "alright, take care of yourself. after all of this, i still love and care about you. you're my best friend after all." she smiled and i returned the expression. i shoved the keys in the keyhole and turned it to open the door and i hurriedly walked out.

it's been a couple of minutes and i walked back in, she's still in the same position i left her in. "you've finally come to your senses and decided not to go to the gig?" her eyes lit up.

"no. i just forgot to get my coat." i spoke up and left.

if she knew where i'm headed, she'll lose her bloody head off her body.

i sat at a cafe, patiently waiting for someone that i would've never thought i'd talk to after so long. i looked up and saw a tall guy with messy dirty blonde hair walk towards the table i sat in. "never thought i'd meet for a chat with my best mate's ex girlfriend." his husky voice echoed between us. "nice to see you too, george. i'm glad we stayed friends after that." i smiled. while having that conversation with matty in my room, i thought about meeting with george after he'd been mentioned twice so far.

"you've changed since the last time i ever saw you, i kind of like the whole edgy-simple-uni-student aura you have going on." he said while rummaging through his pockets to get a cigarette.

"and you haven't changed a bit!" i tried saying this in the most enthusiastic way possible.

"i've clearly changed, lennon, i'm wearing different cologne," he scoffed and took a long drag. "you would've caught up on that if you'd let me date your fit friend a couple years ago."

i rolled my eyes, "it's too late now, and it's college not uni."

"same thing," he sighed, "so how've you been, how's your life, how's your studies?" i can tell that he's slowly gaining an interest in my life other than just talking about the relationship. honestly, it made me smile a bit. it was nice to have a conversation that didn't include talking about matty.

"everything's been fine, just not a lot going on at the moment, that's all." i said. "you're a sly liar, lenny. clearly a lot of things are going on at the moment between you and matty." he jokingly spat. i haven't heard anyone call me lenny in a few years. the nostalgia of him and i hit me like a ton of bricks.

but great, i spoke too soon about having a conversation that didn't include talking about matty. but, that's the only way i could actually have this conversation with george in the first place.

"yeah, he's pretty impactful these couple of days," i spoke, "for good reasons i hope." george put his free hand on top of mine, "and it was for good reasons, he'd never mean to hurt you." he said sympathetically, "he's an arsehole but he never wanted to end things with you."

we both leaned in close, "and who would ever want to break up with those lovely green eyes of yours?" he said softly. "when was the last time you showered, george?" i finally spoke.

we both pulled away, our faces several inches apart. "that was a bit harsh," he said, "i like that from you." he stubbed his cigarette into a reconciled ashtray, "so, what do you think of our big hit single?" he asked, staring at me blankly.

"chocolate? i think it's quite awful and lovely at the same time, but that fit friend of mine that you almost shagged last night, hated it a few days ago," i smirked, "she gladly expressed her hatred to a bartender." george's eyes widened, i started laughing by just looking at his reaction. "well, what do you expect when no one can understand the frontman's words?" my laughter died down into a sympathetic tone.

his slight frown quickly turned into laughter and it brought me back to that state again. i wish we'd talked more after the breakup, but i knew it must've been weird knowing that you're still talking to your ex's best friend. i like george, i really really do. at some point, we're inseparable. we sat there talking about anything for a couple of hours, decided that it was getting late, and said our goodbyes.

i walked home while the iridescent manchester sky was getting darker.

i stuck the dorm key in the keyhole and twisted it left twice for it to open. warm autumn air disappeared from me as i walked inside. i kicked off my creased boots and hung my light grey felt coat on the hanger stand.

i turned around and saw margo and sade with crossed arms staring right directly at me. i knew i was going to be confronted one way or another, but i'm not sure what it's about.

"why are you guys staring at me like i just committed a crime?" i joked.

"why are you suddenly trending on twitter with photos of you and george daniel from the 1975, giggling and coming close?" said margo. it didn't sound like she was joking too.

for christ's sake, someone kill me already.