2. Genesis

"Hahaha, my Boy. You are the best killing machine this world has ever seen -- I dare say myself. And, believe me, I have seen them all! You are indeed my favorite child", the eerie voice said.

The Captain couldn't say anything, he couldn't move his lips or open his eyes. Darkness and coldness were all around. He couldn't hear anything, but the words vibrated in his heart.

"I'll give you another chance, Death's Favorite Child! You did so well as a mere weak human. I'll send you to a new world, reborn, but with powers, you never dreamed of! What heights can you reach? How many lives can you reap for me? Can you become a true God of Death to rival ME?", the voice bellowed.

The Captain couldn't understand. Is this the afterlife? Is this death? Is this his well-deserved Hell?

"Child, I cry for you. You don't deserve this. You didn't choose this path.", a female voice sounded, full of love and warmth.

"Oh, you should be delighted, my Boy. For you have been blessed by the presence of the Goddess of Life herself! To what we owe this pleasure?", said the cold voice full of mockery.

The Goddess of Life ignored his words and continued talking to the young man. "My child, I cannot intervene in your rebirth, as the wheel of fate has been put in motion. I'll give you a gift with the hope to guide you in your next life. The gift of memory, so the path of your past will forge your future! I can only hope--".

"Useless!", the cold voice cut her.

"This is my Boy, the Death's Favorite Child. Death is what he does best. Go my Boy, live your new life and be the Reaper of Life. You can be the Hero that rids the world of all evil or the villain that destroys the world. Death does not discriminate; Death does not judge; Death is always by your side! Go, my Boy!", the God of Death bellowed, and his voice reached the corners of creation.

Everything faded around. The Captain didn't feel anything, didn't hear anything, didn't see anything. A void of blackness and a ball of light were the only things there -- but they also faded away quickly, as if they never existed.