11. Reaching Home

Tomorrow around noon, we'll reach Fini, the main town of the Barony

Tomorrow around noon, we'll reach Fini, the main town of the Barony., said Jon.

They were currently setting up camp after several days on the road. Usually, it takes one week, but it took ten days with Daniel training and being careful of ambushes. Thankfully, after the bandits' attack, they didn't get any other nasty surprises -- except for the occasional magical beast that Daniel quickly dispatched.

Helena was nervous; she hadn't been home for over a year. Even as a 9-year-old girl, she knew the possibility of a warm welcome was slim to zero. Their uncle, Jonas, had taken over the territory after their parents perished. Based on their information, there is a good chance he was behind their parents' demise and Daniel's attack. It seemed like a bloody confrontation was inevitable.

When their father, the previous Baron, was alive, Uncle Jonas kept a facade of a kind and honest man. After his brother's death, he didn't care to pretend anymore. Gambling, women, violent behaviour, and colluding with criminals. He took over the territory and imprisoned anyone that opposed him. He brought in concubines, and when his wife complained, he beat her half to death and kicked her out of the mansion along with their 12-year-old daughter. The Mercenary Guild report said he now had them staying like commoners in the poorest area of the town.

The whole territory has 50-60,000 people. Around 10,000 live in Fini town, where the Baron's mansion is also. Based on the Mercenary Guild, there are 500 guards throughout the territory -- 100 or so in Fini., Jon followed up.

"Helena, do you think any of the guards will support us?" the boy asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"I don't really know, brother... After you were attacked, our butler, Shein, had both you and I sent to the capital. We left during the night in secret. I haven't had any contact with our people since then. Any letters that were sent to me were destroyed by the school guards paid for by my uncle. Any letters I sent home were lost... The Mercenary Guild report said that Shein's whereabouts are unknown..." replied Helena with bitterness in her voice.

"I guess we'll see soon. I hope we won't have to get rid of all of them." said the boy coldly, which made Helena flinch. The screams of the bandits from a few days ago still haunt her.

= * =

Captain, some people have been following us for the last 10 minutes., Jon pointed out.

Daniel that was walking next to the carriage, glanced around and told Helena,

"Be prepared."

The girl was startled but quickly put her things away in the storage ring her brother gave her. She squeezed her dagger and watched all around nervously.

A man on a horse left the bushes and headed towards the siblings. He was in his 30s -- clearly a trained soldier. His armour was dented but clean. He had a small shield and a spear on his back.

Daniel created a dark spear, and his eyes turned black. He looked at the coming man sizing up the weaknesses. The soldier stopped in his tracks. He came to meet his liege, the boy whose life he saved 14 months ago. He heard from travelling merchants that a couple of kids, a boy and a girl, were seen travelling alone towards Fini. He knew it had to be them.

It was indeed them. He would recognize this boy anywhere!

But now, something deep inside him screamed to run for his life. The horse refused to move forward and started frothing. Fear like he had never felt before, not even during the bloodiest of battles during the last war. The boy's black eyes were piercing through his flesh, reaching the inner depths of his soul and bearing their teeth. The boy's spear was made of pure darkness. He just knew that death was all that was waiting at the tip of that spear.

He jumped down the horse, threw away his shield and spear, and kneeled. With a trembling voice, he shouted,

"My liege, welcome back. I, your servant Robert, welcome you. Let me be the first one to pledge my fealty to you again."

"Robert?" the girl's voice came from the carriage, but the soldier didn't dare raise his head.

"Daniel, stop! It's Robert! He saved your life after the attack! He was the head of the guards when daddy was alive!" added the girl urgently.

Suddenly, the weight on Robert's soul was lifted, and he could breathe again. His horse had passed out but was still alive. He dared to raise his head and look at the boy and girl, both of them watching him. 'Was this really the young master? What happened to him?' he thought.

"My Lord, I beg forgiveness if I have startled you with my sudden approach. I heard that a black-haired boy and girl were travelling towards Fini alone, and I had to check if it was you. I came to meet you and offer my services to you. Other men are hiding nearby -- all loyal to you." the man said in a single breath.

"How many would fight with us?" asked the boy coldly.

"Mmm. 30 guards, including myself, were declared criminals because we refused to obey your uncle's orders. We fled Fini 8 months ago. 18 of us remain. The rest..." tears formed in his eyes.

"Do you have intel from the inside?" asked the boy.

Helena looked at her brother, upset with his cold demeanour. 'You just heard 12 of our people died! Why are you so cold?', she thought.

Robert didn't find it strange, though. It reminded him of the hardened generals during the war. It's not that they didn't care. They just prioritized the living over the dead. But those generals had led men in the war for years. They killed countless people and were drenched in blood. 'How did the young master become like that in 14 months?'

At this point, the boy nodded to Robert to stand up and come close. Helena gave him some water and something to eat. As branded criminals, they only ate what they could hunt.

"We have links to the inside. Many people are unhappy. Most of the old guards wouldn't fight against us. But your uncle hired many mercenaries, or rather, criminals. We would be against 70-80 hardened fighters. We should expect 20-25 fighting on our side." quickly said Robert, understanding what was on his lord's mind.

"How about getting to him?" asked the boy.

"Usually, killing the head would minimize the bloodshed. But, his people have infiltrated everywhere. The mercenaries behave like masters and take everything they want. Even if he is dead, we will not avoid a head-on confrontation. It might even be worst. They might let loose and do horrible things if they feel the end is closing in." Robert shook his head.

They soon reached the camp where the rest of the loyal guards stayed. They all had tears in their eyes when they saw their old master's children. They bowed and kneeled and gave promises of loyalty. In any case, this boy was their last chance to live a normal life again.