42. A few days in the city (3)

* Thud *

"50,000 gold coins. The largest single item transaction we ever made in this branch. You have to thank the crazy old fogeys at the Wizards Association," the Guild Master said as he put a box on the table.

Several gasps were heard from Rik, the head of the knights, and Pit, the leader of the adventure group 'The Razers'. Alis was unphased since she was not familiar with the human currency.

"I took the liberty of converting them to 50 orichalcum coins."

Daniel nodded and opened the box. He counted 10 coins and gave them to Pit,

"This is your share."

"This... It's too generous. I don't think..." Pit choked on his words. Ten thousand gold coins were more than they would make in a lifetime of adventuring for a C-rank group.

Daniel ignored his objections and handed twenty more coins to the head of the knights guarding the Prince.

"Ten are for the living ones and ten for the families of the ones that died."

Rik felt his throat parched,

"I thank you, Lord Daniel."

Daniel flipped a coin to Alis, which she caught immediately,

"For emergencies."

She nodded and put the coin in a purse hanging on her side.

The rest disappeared into the magic storage ring.

"We also have the information you requested for the three neighboring kingdoms. We could be more detailed if you tell me what specifically you are looking for," added the Guild Master.

"No need. This is enough," answered Daniel, and the heavy dossiers disappeared as well.

"Will you be leaving the city today?" asked the Guild Master.

"Yes," answered Daniel and exited the room with Alis, Rik, and Pit.

As soon as the door closed behind them, the Guild Master let out a deep sigh and murmured,

"I hope our paths never cross again."

His attendant, that was sitting next to him, gave him a weird look. Since they were left alone in the room, she asked in curiosity,

"Guild Master, you seemed tense around that group. Is it because of the Prince's involvement?"

"Hehe, the prince? No, no. It's him, the lad in black, Daniel. I have been an adventurer all my life and retired as an S-class. However, my danger instincts have never reacted more intensely than when that lad is nearby. He is bad news, and I really hope I never cross paths with him."

"But, Guild Master, I didn't feel anything from him. He was a bit cold but not threatening!"

"Hmm, you are a B-class adventurer, right?"

The young woman nodded.

"Would an ant feel threatened at the presence of a lion?" said the Guild Master, smiling.

"You mean..."

"The difference is so big between you that, unless he wanted to, you wouldn't feel anything," said the Guild Master and walked out of the meeting room. His assistant hesitated for a moment and ran after him.

~~

A few hours later, eight knights and two adventurers were escorting a boy leaving the city. They were all riding on horses since all the necessities were moved into spacial rings and shared between them.