35. New Path

Alis watched as Daniel collapsed to the ground. All around him, blood and death. The Panther Warriors looked at each other and then at the lone figure on the floor, hard to believe in their own eyes. Nobody wanted to check on the human.

She stepped forward and walked hesitantly to the unconscious body. The human was covered from head to toe in blood. It was like he bathed in the blood of his enemies. She held back her urge to vomit and checked his vitals. He was still breathing, but his pulse was weak. Without a second thought, she lifted Daniel in her arms princess style and started walking towards the gate. The Panther Warriors parted to allow passage for them as she headed towards the temple.

In front of the temple, the guards blocked her path, looking suspiciously at the human. The news about what happened on the battlefield hadn't reached them yet. Alis glanced at them, but before she could talk, the female Panther Champion that Daniel saved stepped next to Alis and ordered,

"Step aside if you value your lives!"

Another two Panther Champions stood behind Alis as well, declaring their support.

The group of Champions escorted Alis and Daniel to the altar in front of the Goddess's statue.

"What's the purpose of this?" asked the Head Priest angrily, "Who allowed this human to enter here?"

The Champions pushed the shocked Head Priest aside, making room for Alis to walk up the stairs. She placed Daniel's unconscious body on the altar and raised her head to the Goddess's statue,

"Please, help him," she whispered and went down the stairs again.

"Such insolence. Bringing this filth back inside the temple!" the Head Priest shouted. But before he could continue, an imposing presence was felt in the temple. They all turned to the statue and saw that the Goddess's eyes had opened once again -- the second time in more than 500 years.

[Leave us alone]

The Goddess's voice resonated in the room, and immediately, all the guards, priests, Champions, and Warriors fainted.

As soon as everyone fell on the ground, Daniel's eyes opened, and he saw an imposing statue right above him. He was lying on the temple's altar. He looked around, and everyone else was sprawled on the floor unconscious. Daniel tilted his head and flattered his purple eyes,

"Fuck, not this again! Captain, get the fuck back to the driving wheel!"

He felt a gaze on him and turned to the statue seeing two inquiring eyes on him.

"Hmm. Hello! We meet... again!" Jon said.

The Goddess's eyes went wide as she watched Daniel's body trying to get up and fall like a puppet on strings.

"Shit. Driving a meat suit is hard!" Jon mumbled.

[You! It's you!]

"Hehe, yes, it's me. I heard you go by Iris now?" Jon talked while managing to sit on the floor. He looked around and started crawling inch by inch to the side of the altar near the stairs.

[Then, he is...]

"Yes, that's him," Jon said pointing at himself.

[Since when have you been together?]

"Hmm. The beginning," Jon replied, only to add with a chuckle,

"Do you feel a bit silly asking him to be your Champion?"

[Are you suppressing his memories?] the Goddess ignored Jon's comments and asked.

"Yes," Jon replied with sadness. "He doesn't even know who I am..."