12. Reaching Home (2)

"My Lord, as discussed, three trusted soldiers have stayed back, hidden with Lady Helena. We've managed to get some more to join us, but your uncle's men know we are here. It will be one against three at best..." said Robert with a gloomy voice. All the soldiers shared his defeated face.

Captain, talk to them. They are ready to die for you! Encourage them!, Jon yelled in the Captain's head, and the boy cringed.

"Soldiers. You have served our house proudly and with honour. You have fought, bled, and lost for this territory. I swear to you that today, the enemy will feel the pain tenfold. I promise you that after today, you and your families will be heroes!" said the boy as heroically as possible.

Of course, his nature was not that of a brave hero but a dark villain. So, his words failed to capture the hearts of his soldiers.

I mean, really, Cap? Is that the best you can do? asked Jon, but the boy shrugged in indifference.

Before the soldiers could get further discouraged, the uncle's troops appeared outside the wall. Riffraff of 70 mercenaries and criminals, locals and foreigners, all linked by greed and bloodlust. They laughed when they saw the 20 people standing outside the south gate and started taunting. Especially when they saw the frail noble boy leading the enemy soldiers, their comments reached another level of malice and contempt.

The uncle was riding a black horse in the back, full of confidence and sure of his victory. He asked everyone to be quiet, and he announced with a loud voice,

"Daniel Thanatos. You have been accused of the unprovoked murder of a servant of House Thanatos. You are to be arrested and brought to justice as ordered by the Duke of Argaka. If you try to resist, you will be sentenced to death!"

He then proceeded to show an official document that the Duke supposedly signed. According to the Mercenary Guild report, his uncle had an enormous gambling debt to the Duke of Argaka -- their closest neighbour to the east. Rumours had it that if the uncle became the official Baron, the Thanatos territory would become a vassal of the Duke to settle the debt.

However, only the royal family could arrest a landed noble. A Duke had no authority. Moreover, a landed Lord killing a commoner servant didn't need any justification. The paper was just a piece of crap. An excuse to cover for usurping the Barony.

Clearly, getting arrested would mean death for Daniel, his sister, and all the soldiers on his side.

But talking and politics were not Captain's strong points. Death was.

He willed two curved dark blades in his hands, and his eyes went black. The temperature suddenly dropped in the whole area and was felt by everyone, warriors and civilians alike. The mercenaries and criminals on the uncle's side were hardened in battle and had honed their survival skills -- they immediately clenched their fists and sobered up. Robert shivered and thanked the gods this boy was on their side. The rest of the soldiers behind him widened their eyes and looked at the back of their Lord. The little boy looked gigantic in their eyes now, like a God had cast a shadow on this world. They all gulped and raised their swords tightly.

The only ignorant was the uncle, unable to read the change in mood.

"He is resisting arrest. In the name of the law, get him! Kill all of them!" hissed the uncle, and the mercenaries moved forward hesitantly. They still had numbers on their side, and a kid led the enemy. A scary one, but yet a kid.

The boy accelerated towards the mercenary group leaving his soldiers behind, trying to catch up to him. He had decided not to use his domain for this fight. Helena made him realize it would attract unwarranted attention.

The mercenaries looked at the boy closing in, and terror took over their heart. 'Was this boy suicidal? Why were they so afraid of him? Why did it look like a tidal wave was moving towards them?' was all they could think of.

Their questions would never be answered.

The Captain, in the boy's body, gave them an evil smirk. He jumped into the enemy ranks and started moving through them like a summer breeze through the leaves of a tree. No sword, shield, or armour could block his dark blades, and a cut was enough for them to lose their soul. His movements were like poetry to the bystanders, no extra movements, no unnecessary gloating or hesitation. A flow of successive motions honed after tens of years of training and killing, a well-designed, finely tuned instrument of death.

The enemies' shock was immense, but their life was on the line. Some turned around and tried to surround the boy, now in the middle of their formation. Others tried to escape his blades and broke formation, running to the rear. At that time, the rest of Daniel's soldiers attacked the enemy combatants, that were now in disarray. With each stroke of the boy, two enemy fighters fell -- every time.

In the midst of the battle, someone yelled, 'Monster!' and tried to escape, only to lose his life next. Robert shivered and thought about how proper this assessment was. He could see his Lord, a boy on the verge of turning 11, decimating hardened warriors like a fox in a chicken den. The usually expressionless boy now had a smile on his face. Or rather, an evil grin was a better description.

The uncle froze in panic. He had 70 men, all hardened in battle and ruthless. Yet this was a one-sided massacre -- and his side was losing. He tried to move, but his horse was petrified, frothing from its mouth at the sight of the terrifying boy. He fell from the horse, hitting his back, and got up hastily with a groan. Turning around, he saw a dark blade pointed at his throat.

"The Duke..." was the last thing the uncle mumbled before his soul left his body. He was promised riches, women, and power. He shouldn't die like this, not him, not now.

Soon, the rest of the mercenaries were killed. The boy showed no mercy. These were criminals, rapists, and people that enjoyed hurting others. Death was their penance. Even Robert, who had lost many friends to these villains, couldn't help but cringe at the boy's brutality.

Daniel looked around at the enemy's dead bodies. On their side, they had one casualty and three severely injured. They were victorious but at a price. No matter what world this was, these people were part of his team now. A life lost was a life too much. He walked to the dead soldier and kneeled next to him. Gasps could be heard from the remaining soldiers and the few surrounding civilians. He closed the dead man's eyes and spoke,

"Rest in peace, brother. You died an honourable death protecting your brothers and sisters. We'll meet one day again."

The soldiers were full of tears.

Their Lord was mighty; he showed overwhelming strength, on par with heroes of the old. As such, he earned their faith and respect.

But a Lord that kneeled next to a dead commoner soldier and called him a brother is a Lord they would follow to the death. He had earned their loyalty and their heart.

"Long live Lord Thanatos!" the soldiers yelled as civilians poured out of the gate. People had complicated looks on their faces, but they were smiling.

"Tend to the injured. Go bring my sister. Robert, let's go to the mansion. We still have cleaning up to do." Daniel said as he walked through the parting crowd.

Hidden behind the walls, the civilians had seen the fight and their Lord's strength. No one wanted to get on this boy's, their Lord's, wrong side. Any ideas of taking advantage of his young age evaporated in their minds immediately.