8. Family Reunion

Good morning, Captain. Are we going to talk to Helena today? Jon was a bit impatient.

"Yes." answered the Captain. Except for handling some 'trash' after dinner, the rest of the night was uneventful. The room was surprisingly comfortable, and the boy had a good night's sleep. After breakfast and his standard training and meditation, he exited the Inn.

Today he would visit the boarding school to talk to Helena. At the Inn, she didn't have time to speak, and there were many eyes around. He had to sneak into the school and find an opportunity to talk to her alone. She needed to make up her mind if she would join him or stay at the capital. In the latter case, he would give her enough money to stop working and focus on her studies. However, she would be in danger no matter what decision made.

He bought a used male school uniform and changed in secret behind a hedge. As soon as the guards made their rounds, he jumped over the fence and hid on the school grounds. The school had a somewhat gothic architecture with a total lack of color. It seemed more like a prison rather than a school. Based on Helena's letters, she had a break around 10:00, and she would go walking at the back of the school. Other students would go for breakfast at the school canteen, but she didn't have any money. She would eat some bread while walking.

"Hey, boy. Shouldn't you be in class right now?" the voice of an older lady was heard behind him.

"Yes. I'm heading there right now," he said, walking quickly to put distance between them.

He waited hidden until the break and saw Helena moving towards the school's rear, where a small park was located. As soon as she passed a group of 10-12year old girls, a giggle was heard.

"What? The famous lady of house Thanatos will feast alone today again?" the girls snickered and looked at Helena with contempt. She ignored them and kept walking.

"Hey, idiot. I'm talking to you! I'll break your nose if you ignore me again!" said one of the girls, but the rest of her friends pulled her towards the school canteen.

"It's not worth it! My father said she's going to end up at a brothel soon! You'll just dirty your hands!" said the oldest of the girls.

Hey, Captain. They are just children, you know., said Jon trying to calm the boy that was currently clenching his fists.

The boy put on his hood and followed Helena to the park. At some point, he lost her tracks. She knew the grounds much better than him.

"Why are you following me?" a trembling voice was heard behind him.

"What do you want from me? Did my uncle send you? I have nothing left. Leave me alone! Leave!" tears were coming down her cheeks, and she was holding her sack tightly.

"I'm afraid I can't do that." said the boy and slowly lowered the hood to reveal his face.

A range of emotions could be seen on Helena's face. Surprise, shock, joy, concern.

"Daniel?" she said, and her knees folded.

Before she could fall on the floor, her brother caught her. She quickly hugged him and settled her face in his chest.

"I tried to be strong, Daniel... I promise... Mother... Father... I didn't know if you..." Helena was trying to say something between the sobbing and bursts of tears.

"Shh. It's OK. I'm here now. Nobody will hurt you again." said the boy embracing her for a long time.

The girl cried for more than half an hour and then fell asleep in her brother's arms. Her sleep was calm and serene -- the first time she was calm since her parents died.