39. A Younger Brother

Prince Alan clenched his fists as he heard the struggling sounds and the screams outside his carriage.

He was traveling back to the Capital coming from the royal manor in the south. He had gone to pay respects to his mother's grave. Of course, he had to travel secretly in an unmarked carriage. His brothers couldn't learn of his itinerary, or his life was forfeited. Yet, here he is, again courting death.

He was born the third prince of the Kingdom of Alampra. His mother was not the Queen though. She was a royal consort. Life was good when he was little. He had no worries. He would eat, sleep, play, learn -- always next to his mother, protected. Although he rarely saw his father, the king was nice to them and provided anything they wanted.

However, the harsh reality slapped him in the face when he was seven years old. His mother was poisoned, and she died a horrible death. People said it was the Queen, but nobody had any proof. The King really didn't care; he already had two sons. Like that, Alan was left alone to fend against the world.

He looked at his bony hands. Nobody would guess this little boy was a prince. For the last three years, he survived countless assassination attacks. His chefs tried to kill him many times with poison; his maids also tried to poison or stab him in his sleep many times; his sword instructor tried to take his head; his best friend growing up tried to shoot an arrow through his heart... He couldn't sleep safely, eat safely, study safely. Everything was a death trap for him. Yet, he couldn't blame the would-be assassins. When the Queen holds a knife to your family's throat, it's easy to forget about loyalty and morals.

He looked around at the empty carriage. Usually, his attendant, Richard, would be next to him at all times. He was the only reason Alan survived to be ten years old. The only person he could trust. But his time, he had to go out and fight with the knights. Alan peeked outside the window at the monster -- his knees grew weak. Was this the end?

He would finally meet his mother and be able to find peace. Nobody would cry for him. Well, maybe his sister, Rin. But she would have to do it secretly. Otherwise, she would be in trouble as well. He shut his eyes, and tears started flowing. He was too weak. He couldn't help his mother then or the knights and Richard now. He could only wait for his fate.

Suddenly, the sounds and screaming outside stopped. Was it over? Is everyone dead?

He squeezed his eyes shut even harder. It is better if he doesn't see the end, he must die with some dignity.

* Bam *

He heard a smashing sound, and his body started quivering.

"Hey, kid!" a female voice rang.

He involuntarily opened his eyes and saw two feline ears. Then a beautiful face -- a girl's face. His eyes were still blurry from crying. Was it another assassin? They had sent beast people assassins before... He closed his eyes again and prepared himself.

Prince Alan felt someone picking him up princess style, and he gasped. He opened his eyes again and found himself in the arms of the beast girl. She was very strong, and she was carrying him somewhere. His heart skipped a beat -- nobody had held him since his mother died. He hadn't felt the touch of another person in three years. His tears started flowing again. Even if she was an assassin, he didn't care anymore.

"Shhh, it's OK little boy. My Master will take care of everything. Don't cry," Alis said as she pulled the prince closer to her body and kept running towards the nearby clearing. Although she would love to fight a hydra, her job this time was to protect this child. How could this child be ten years old? He looked so thin and small.

Alis shook her head and looked back at the fight.

At that moment, Daniel was dashing toward the hydra holding a massive dark broadsword. He jumped in the air, evading the jaws of several hydra heads. Using his domain powers, he was stepping on the air like it was solid ground. The knights were stunned and remained frozen. Suddenly, a knight running together with Daniel yelled,