13. Now What?

A week had passed since Daniel and Helena arrived in Fini. Soon, all the villages in the territory sent their representatives to declare allegiance to the Lord. Any remaining people of the uncle were quickly captured and killed. The death penalty seemed to be the only tool in this Lord's arsenal. Even corrupt people not yet caught fled the territory in fear.

A woman and a girl were kneeling in the audience room of the Thanatos family in front of a boy, the Lord. The atmosphere was thick, and people in the room could barely breathe. The guards behind the two females had a sorry looks on their faces and tried hard to avoid trembling.

The woman was in her late 20s and had blonde hair and deep blue eyes that were now fixed on the floor. She had rich curves, and anyone could see how beautiful she was. The girl, 12 years old, had the same features and beauty, minus the womanly figure. Both were now terrified of their fate and trying their best not to faint. While dressed in commoner clothes, their posture made it obvious they were once nobles.

The whole room was silent.

*smack*

A slap was heard, making everyone's eyes turn in shock as the boy grabbed his arm and made a funny grimace.

"Daniel! Stop scaring Aunt Secilia and Annette! Haven't they been through enough?" a high-pitched girl's voice was heard.

This was the Lady of the House, Lady Helena -- the Lord's sister. She was also the only person in the territory that dared berate the Lord. His performance at the fight for the territory a few days ago had spread through word of mouth. Even if 10% of that was accurate, he was terrifying.

Everyone waited in anxiety for the Lord's reaction. The guards, the maids, even the butler Shein, who was found in the dungeon chained, were expecting the Lord's reaction. At the same time, inside the boy's head, a voice was resonating loudly,

Hahaha. The mighty Captain got smacked by a little girl! I wish the rest of the team were here to see. Hahaha.

The boy stepped back and tried his best to look less intimidating. That was the best he could do.

"Aunt, cousin, please get up." said the girl. "You are not in any danger," she added, looking at her brother.

The boy nodded, and the atmosphere in the room changed immediately.

"Lady Secilia, Lady Annette." the boy's voice broke the silence.

"My uncle is dead. By my own hands," he emphasized both facts, looking at them as they stood before him.

He knew the wife and daughter of his Uncle were mistreated, and even his aunt was almost beaten to death. However, he couldn't take any chances of them seeking revenge. He wanted to exile them, but Helena opposed the idea vehemently.

The two looked at him with sadness on their face. They knew that the uncle was responsible for the death of the boy's parents and his close-call death experience.

"My Lord, I know what you are thinking. We believe that the punishment delivered to my husband was just. He committed so many crimes that..." Lady Secilia choked on her words. Annette hugged her mother and continued,

"My Lord, what my mother wants to say is that we'll not be seeking vengeance. We only want to be allowed to live.". She understood very well how precarious their situation was. Even at 12 years old, she knew the horrors waiting for them in the dungeon or as exiles in the slums of a neighbouring town.

"Hmmm." the boy exclaimed, deep in thought.

Captain, this is an excellent opportunity to show that you have a heart. Or rather, to fake a heart! Hahaha., Jon said.

Helena was looking at her brother with pleading eyes as well.

"Lady Secilia. You will return to your old quarters in the mansion. My uncle died from a bandit attack, so you are the widow of the Thanatos family branch house, and your daughter is the heir of the branch house. Shein mentioned you used to help my father with the financial management of the territory, so you will continue to do so. Annette, you will stay here until the next school term. Then, you'll return to your studies in the capital along with my sister." the boy decreed.

Lady Secilia and Annette were shocked and happy. They wanted to hug Daniel, but they didn't dare. By declaring his uncle died from bandits, the Lord allowed them to keep their lineage and remain nobles. As an heir of the branch house, Annette would be easier to marry into a noble family. Paying for her to finish her studies in the capital also increased her appeal to future suitors and her exposure to candidates.

As soon as Daniel walked out of the room, they rushed and hugged Helena, that was shocked -- but for another reason. She just found out she needed to go back to school! She hated school and those unbearable noble brats.

"Lord Thanatos, I'm sorry to push you, but we need to start reviewing the paperwork for the administration. Your uncle didn't do anything the last year; everything is pending. Revision of taxes, land allocation to farmers, payments to guards, even marriage permits are stalled!" said Shein hesitantly.

"..."

"Lord Thanatos? Is everything OK? Did you hear me?" muttered Shein.

The Captain was good at one area: Killing and strategizing. Managing the land, doing paperwork, and handling finances was too much for him.

Captain, what's wrong? Have you never played civilization? mocked Jon.

How was this killing machine supposed to care and be responsible for people's lives?

Captain, I'll make you a deal. said Jon with a serious voice.

You will give me 2 hours daily to do what I like, and I'll help you with the management. I have a photographic memory and did a minor in economics at uni.

"Shein, leave me." said the boy to a confused butler. Soon, the boy was alone.

"What do you mean, Jon? Do what?" asked the boy.

Captain, we are in a fantasy world, and I'm a geek. I want to research runes and magic, check out magical beasts, maybe travel a bit, and read the world's folklore, ...

"I see. But what if I can't give you 2 hours in a day? What if I disagree with what you want to do?" answered the Captain. It was not a big request, and Jon saved his life more than once, when alive and as a ghost. However, it was a fundamental change in the dynamics between them. If Jon wanted, he could drive him crazy, distract him during battle, and make him an insomniac. His developing desires were a dangerous step.

Captain, I know what you are thinking. Hey, not really! I mean, I guess what you are thinking, don't get angry now! We won't do it if you don't want to do something. If we miss time, we make up another day. We've been together so long! explained Jon.

"OK. For now, we go with it." said the Captain reluctantly. In all reality, he needed Jon's support if he was to be a half-decent Lord.

Yes! Magic world, here we come! shouted Jon, making the boy wince.

"Shein. Let's head to the office." said the Lord.

"Yes, my Lord!", answered Shein while glancing inside the room to see who the boy was talking to.

[A/N: For the next chapter, I'll skip a couple of years. I might add some interludes later about their adventures.]