23. A Day Out (2)

"Daniel, hurry up! I've never been to the beach before. You know, our kingdom is landlocked, and with all the past wars, I was never allowed to travel to the sea," Rin said as she watched the mesmerizing scenery.

"Let's go then," said Daniel and offered her his hand to get down from the train.

Rin's people walked off the train in deep thought. This train could transfer hundreds of people and tons of goods at incredible speeds. If it were deployed for support during war, it would change the dynamics of warfare. This was disturbing. While their Lady was excited, they were distressed. Since they arrived in this territory, one shocking revelation followed the other.

At first, they came proudly, even arrogantly, that a royal family member would honor this Baron with her presence. They hoped to dazzle him. But what they saw put them in deep thought. This was no normal Baron. The prosperity of this territory rivaled their capital city Rotsa -- the jewel of Alampra. The number of magic devices on display was enormous, and it was astonishing that even commoners had access to them. Furthermore, they knew that the principles behind the devices and the knowledge could be easily used to build terrifying war technology.

"My Lady, please wait!" shouted the maid.

However, Rin grabbed Daniel's hand and ran towards the newly built pier stretching into the sea. She was holding his hand while navigating through the troves of people leisuring on the beach-side resort.

The maid turned ashen. Their Princess was holding hands with a man in public! If the King saw them, he would have all of their heads!

"My Lady! Come back!" she yelled, but she was too late as the couple disappeared into the crowd.

"Daniel, what is this?" Rin pointed.

"Cotton candid," he answered and signaled the vendor for an order. The device to make the sweet was designed by Jon, of course.

"Not need to pay, my Lord. We thank you for your protection and help. This area was desolate and poor, our children starving. Now we have a way to survive. This 'train' you built gave us a lifeline," said the vendor, deeply bowing.

Rin smiled and confided,

"You know, I asked around about you."

"Yes?" Daniel answered amused.

Rin nodded and continued,

"You know what I heard? I'll tell you anyway!" she continued, not waiting for an answer,

"People say you are scary. They say you once killed a servant for disrespecting you and you executed your own uncle! Even that you sent the head of another noble to his father in a box! Also, they say bandits are afraid to come to your territory because it is said you are hunting them for sports!"

"However!" she added, "Somehow, everyone in your territory loves and respects you!"

"Everyone I've talked to, rich or poor, noble or commoner, say the same thing. You are the best Lord they ever had, and they would die for you. How can both these persons they describe be one?" she continued,

"And how is that one person also the chicken skewer guy that couldn't even greet me properly?" she giggled.

Daniel shrugged and passed the sweet to her. Rin's eyes almost popped when she tried this pink, cotton-like sweet,

"It's like a cloud! I'm eating a sweet cloud!" she yelled. Daniel chuckled. He was also having a really nice time.

Suddenly, Rin grabbed his hand and pulled him behind some fishermen that were surprised to see them.