CHAPTER NINE: BREAKING POINT

once the wii turned off, henry started sobbing. he had been trying to hold it together for sam.

"i really fucked up, huh?" he asked austin in between his tears.

"henry. i didn't think you would ever apologize. thank you," austin comforted him.

"a simple 'i'm sorry' is not a good apology! i killed you, austin! and you're willing to forgive it all just because i said sorry?"

"we've been through too much for me to be mad anymore, henry. we're the adults here. don't you think it's time we forgive each other?"

"no! i ruined you. i fucked up your entire life just because i was jealous. i traumatized two kids for no reason, made my own niece hate me, and you wanna act like i'm still redeemable."

"but you are. you feel horrible, no? you feel remorse, henry."

"you two alright?" kyle two cautiously asked.

"yeah," henry sniffed.

he separated himself from austin.

"it could've gone worse," kyle two said, "but i think you two worked out everything. and sam doesn't hate you."

"you're right," henry said, wiping his tears away.

"austin.. you saw how kyle was looking at henry, right?" the mii asked him.

"no? why?"

henry wasn't listening to them. he was too busy feeling guilty, and we walked further into the mii channel, leaving the two behind.

"n-nevermind," kyle two abruptly said.

austin rolled his eyes and disappeared from view.

kyle two thought about his real life counterpart. it knew that kyle hated henry still. but kyle was always angry it seemed, and kyle two had a hard time figuring out who he was angry at.

it had been awhile in the wii, so kyle two tapped on the screen.

"psst-! kyle! wake up!" it whisper-shouted.

kyle didn't react. the mii watched as he rolled over in his sleep, hitting sam's dresser. her metal water bottle fell from the piece of furniture, hitting kyle's head. he shot up from his sleep.

"GOD-" he cried out in pain.

kyle two snickered quietly.

the boy flung the water bottle in sam's closet, angry.

"kyle-" the mii began.

he whipped around to face it, looking grieved. kyle two hadn't realized how exhausted kyle looked.

"what.." he growled.

"are... are you okay?"

kyle felt like barbed wire had wrapped itself around his throat. his shoulders dropped in submission to his feelings, and he moved closer to the tv.

"this has been a lot, hasn't it?" he asked kyle two, touching his palm to the screen.

kyle two gave a slight nod. kyle looked back at sam, who was sleeping peacefully.

"honestly, in all of this, i've never felt more alone. you're the only one here who isn't batshit crazy. even my own fucking uncle is insane."

"austin? he's not-"

"you'd lie to yourself like that? you know he's not well. i can tell from his eyes. he looks so- defeated? i can't tell. he's losing it though."

kyle two fought back the urge to respond with 'so are you.'