Chapter 9

Song listed at the top: No Guidance by Chris Brown (slowed)

There are a lot of people. And they keep coming inside the room and some keep leaving.

They all act like I have been here for the longest time and don't bother to give me a stink eye for being a woman in here, in a place for men.

It's like, I'm in a completely different world or something.

I feel a nudge to my right and turn to look at a man sitting next to me with a water bottle in his hand. He looks me over before nodding once. He's bald and when I see a scratch on his forehead, I realise he is one of the guards that I dropped unconscious when I went to their drug dealing warehouse.

An awkward smile plays at my lips and I wait for him to tell me off on it.

"I have got to say, you got some guts, especially being the daughter of Matteo," he says my father's name like I should be scared, like it should be a curse being a daughter for him. I keep my thoughts and opinions to myself.

"I'm sorry, I was just..." I trail not knowing what to exactly tell him. Desperate? Too scared? A coward that I would get caught? Caught up on my revenge?

He chuckles, a deep chuckle that seems warming and I fear how at ease these people are making me feel. I feel like something is wrong and I am ignoring it. Like it's right in front of my eyes yet I am choosing to not see it.

"It happens. Joyce," he brings forward a hand for a handshake and I hesitantly shake it. His beard and the loud yet soft laugh doesn't make me feel threatened by him like I do with men that visit my father.

"It was fun making a seat for myself by the way, felt like a queen," I tell him with a shrug in hopes of making light of the situation.

He laughs yet again, this time getting the attention of two men sitting next to him. Their lips quirk at seeing the man laugh before their eyes flicker to me and they frown. I instantly sober up. No one said it's possible for everyone to like you.

"Fiona." I nod when the blonde haired one calls out my name.

"Bride to Arius. Why are you here, I thought he was going to keep her away from all of this shit?" He asks the boy next to him with mud brown hair who shrugs.

That hits me, but I keep my snarky comeback to myself. I need to be nice. I need to be nice.

I open my mouth but the room falls silent suddenly.

I look around confused before my gaze lands on the front where Arius stands, and indifferent expression on his face. With his hands in his pockets, black camo trousers with a black t-shirt. He changed clothes.

Once his eyes roam the room and land on me, he jerks his head towards the door telling me he needs me to leave.

I quickly get up and moving away from everyone and towards his side.