Chapter 35

Him and I by Halsey

Arius

When all my life I had secretly had one motivation to live, now, reality seems to be really making it difficult to believe it's true. That yes, I am living the life I have been praying, killing and painting my hands red for.

"I think I'm good to go with this," I hang up as Anderson tells me he has an idea of what I could be doing.

Managing his special forces team. A private sector company so I am away from any rules and guidelines to stop me. I have full authority in this role and I know I will be able to go on field if wanted to which makes me happy. 

I would hate to sit at home on my ass when all my life I have been active in the worst ways. 

I need to call my brothers to ask them how they are holding up in Miami or if they have decided to pick up another case. I need to catch up with Fabian too. 

As soon as I dial Alessio's number, he picks it up. 

"Hmm?" I take a deep breath in before answering him.

"Alessio." I can basically feel his eye roll from the other side.

"Los Angeles after a woman Arius? Seriously? What were you thinking? You just up and left?" I quicken my footsteps because I want to be with Fiona right now. Alessio may even come to Los Angeles if he so much as hears anything wrong.

"You know well that was my first reason." I grit out and he doesn't answer because he knows. He knows this all and yet he is the one questioning me.

"Why do you think moving across the country means you are safe? Do you not know once being in the Mafia and underworld will never leave you alone? You killed Matteo so what? You think his successors won't come after you?" 

I swallow trying to reason with myself that I knew this since the beginning. Fuck. He's right though.

"I know that. Which is why I was creating this whole case file. The bigger part of the Mafia is dissembled. Whoever is next in line after me to go undercover is the one in charge for the safety now. I left knowing well what was awaiting me," 

"Danger never leaves ones who enter through those doors of hell." he mutters before hanging up. 

My breathing picks up and so does my heart beat. I slowly run towards Fiona's apartment because I left in the morning, telling her that I needed to grab a few things. I needed to drop by Anderson and give him a little background on what I have done so far and an overview of what I could do. 

There is heavy settling feeling inside me and I fucking hate it.

I am so glad that Fiona had finally decided to listen to what I had to say. I have just few words left to tell her.

The only words that matter now. 

She's built a life here and I have too. 

What we need is stability in our tangled life. We need each other more than anything.