Chapter 17

Arius looks at me like I just stabbed a knife through him

He looks at me like he can't believe himself.

"I wouldn't care?" He repeats my words and now that he says them, it hits me harder.

"Why would you?" I ask him lifting a brow.

He opens his mouth before shutting it.

"You are my wife. A woman I am supposed to take care of which also includes worrying about you and damn am I shit at it but seeing that you wear your emotions on your sleeves, easily readable. Not to everyone but me. So, you best believe I care,"

I let my head rest against the wall as my eyes look up at the ceiling.

I lied.

I wanted to hear if he cared and he does. I wanted to see if he cared enough so I could tell him. Sasha doesn't know about mother, that night she came with me to the ball, she thought I needed to go because I told her dad asked me to go. She thought I needed to go to Arius's warehouse because dad asked me to spy on them.

She doesn't know. Riko only follows my command. He can't go against it yet he does goof around when no one is there to watch him.

No one knows about my horror.

So yes, out of all people, I hope Arius could be the one.

Maybe that way I could earn his trust.

A smile tugs at my lips. His words repeating over and over in my head.

No kiss? Doesn't matter.

But hearing him say that makes my heart go into doing flips all around. Words are more powerful and I certainly agree with whoever said that.

"That's nice to know," there is a beat of silence, the only sound is Arius breathing and a few people talking somewhere far away.

"You said it on purpose, didn't you?" He finally speaks making my smile wider.

"Maybe," I lift my head and look at him to see his face neutral.

I push at his shoulder with a smile and turn to walk away from him.

But a grip on my hand stops me making me look over my shoulder to see amusement in his eyes.

"You really know how to leave me confused, you coming or not?" He lifts a brow in his usual style which makes me laugh.

"If I didn't, you might as well drag me in the back of your car," I shake my head before releasing my wrist from his hold and walk towards the front of the house because I can't go back in.

I don't know where I am going but at least it's away from Arius because I really just made him say he cared about me.

With Hazera joining us for this short flight, we soon land and before you know it, we are walking towards the estate of the consigliere of New York. Camden's New York SkyHigh apartment right in the smack middle of Manhattan because money speaks.