The Night It All Changed

It had been a year since I had been reborn, and for the past few days, my nerves had been on edge. 

Despite the thought of Remus and Sirius completely sipping my mind, I did remember that Voldemort had attacked the Potters on Halloween when Harry was one. 

Today was the day I had been dreading, today, I would lose mum and dad. 

I knew something was off when Mum protectively picked Harry up, while I watched from my crib.

The moment I had been expecting came.  The front door banged open, "Lily, Take the kids and go, its him, Run! I'll hold him off—!"

Dad cried out, and then there was silence.  By then, I knew that dad was gone, he was gone and never coming back.

I could hear mum sobbing, I myself had started wailing.  Harry just sat there, I don't think he understood what was happening. 

In the silence of the house, the only sounds we could hear were soft footsteps coming closer to the nursery door, the handle creaked. 

"Not my Harry, not my Rosaela, please not them!" Mum whimpered.

"Stand aside you silly girl," Voldemort spoke commandingly.

"Not them, please no, take me instead!" Mum cried out, "not them!  Please...have mercy...have mercy," Mum repeated those words over and over.

My wails had subsided, but tears were still streaming down my face.  I heard mum scream, and I came to the fact that the loving family I had attained was now nothing more than lifeless corpses. 

"Avada Kedavra!" Voldemort yelled out, but the spell rebounded off of Harry and I. 

I watched, entranced as his body distorted, and a shadowy wreath flew out through the window, shattering the glass. 

Even amongst such confusion and terror, I felt a deep sense of satisfaction, knowing that Voldemort would feel the same pain he inflicted on so many others.

Looking over, my eyes were immediately drawn to Harry's newly gained scar, it stood out vibrantly against his pale and chubby face.

I noticed that I hadn't been marked with any type of scar, a part of me was glad while the other was heartbroken because I wouldn't be able to share Harry's burden.
_______
~Severus Snape POV~

I rushed over to Godric's Hollow, "too late," I muttered, "what if I'm too late."

When I walked into the nursery in the Potter manor, glass shards were scattered about, broken wood lay on the floor, and Lily, my Lily was dead.  I screamed, exploding into hopeless sobs. 

"No sad," I heard a teary voice calling out, "Ro hay sad eeple, no cry!"

Eyes widening, I looked over to see Lily's baby girl Rosaela staring at me, I choked, even at a young age, she looked so much like her mother.  I reached out my hand and gently stroked her soft cheek. 

"Stay safe little one," I gently spoke, I looked over to her brother, a look of distaste crossed my face.  He reminded me so much of James.

After a long moment of silence, I finally opened my mouth again, "Grow up well," were the only words that left my mouth.

As if an invisible force was leading me away, I reluctantly walked out into the night, leaving the children alone, dreaming of a time when Lily had been beside me, smiling, wishing I could once again hear her breathy laughter ringing about Hogwart's hallways.
_______
~Rosaela POV ~

After Severus left, I felt the wings of sleep hovering over the edges of my eyes, and when I awoke again, it was to the horrified face of Petunia and Vernon Dursley.