The Sorting

(A/N: Sorry for the long wait, I said that I would update soon in the comments section, but got sick after taking my booster shot, then realized that I had four tests the week they were supposed to take place, then had writers block, then... well other stuff happened!😭
Soooooo sorry!!! As compensation, y'all can enjoy an extra long chapter(word count once the chapters done!). Harry-Slytherin and Rose-Hufflepuff won in the votes! So....... Enjoy this horribly late chapter! <3 )
_______
"Speak" — The Sorting Hat
_______
~Rose POV~

I stared in awe at the fast approaching castle before me, no words could describe how entrancing it was.  The majestic castle reflected off the lake water, flickering and wavering as a giant man swung his lantern around.

"Hey!" I whispered to Draco, who had gotten into the same boat Harry and I were on despite Harry's indignant protests. "Who's he?"

"Who?" Draco looked puzzled.

"The guy that's leading us to Hogwarts, the giant guy in the boat at the very front."

"Oh him."  Draco snarked,  "Father says that he's a stupid oaf who spends his days in his hut getting drunk!"

I gasped at Draco's rude choice of words.  He didn't seem like a person who enjoyed throwing degrading remarks at people.

"You can't just go around saying things like that!"  Harry looked appalled at Draco's reply.

"Why not?" Draco questioned. "Father says that people like him are just as bad as mudbloods!"

"Umm... what's a mudblood?" I tilted my head in confusion.

"It's slander," apparently Harry had known about the term's meaning. "It's what people from magical families call people with magic that come from non-magical families."

I gasped in realization. Harry and I were from non-magical families too! Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon were muggles! Did that mean...

"If that's what the term mudblood means," I voiced my thoughts, "Does that mean that Harry and I are mudbloo-"

"N-N-NO!" Draco looked alarmed at what I was going to say. "I would never insult you like that Rose! Your not a mudblood, I mean, you're a half-blood! Your father James Potter was from a pureblood family so-". He coughed awkwardly, ears turning a rosy pink. "I-I'll just silence myself now."

Harry and I stared in silence at his embarrassed form.
.

.

.

.

.

.

'So our father's name was James!'  The both of us thought simultaneously.
_______
~Time Skip~
_______
~3rd person POV
_______

The three children stood in Hogwarts' great hall, eyes not straying from the luminous candles that gave off the impression of a sea of stars, shimmering in the velvet sky.

The trio had barely managed to avoid a certain nosy Weasley upon waiting for entrance to the great hall, In which the twins had insisted on avoiding despite Draco's confusion.

Still distracted by the glowing lights, Rose gasped in shock when the Sorting Hat began to sing.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.