𝙰𝚁𝚁𝙸𝚅𝙰𝙻

Miami, International airport,
Coral Gables,
Florida.

As the plane taxis down the runway, my face lights up in a smile and I slowly let out a relieved sigh. The fact that I am finally in Florida sends my blood surging.

I turn to tap the girl next to me who dozed off about half an hour ago, but she does not budge. I'm scared to hit her a little harder though it's not something I am above doing. Throughout the flight, although my book reading provided a good distraction, the girl beside me had occupied the rest of my time.

My mouth opens to call her name, only for it to pause with the realization that I don't know it. Blinking repeatedly, I scan through our conversation from the moment we met till now. At first, we had exchanged nothing more than a 'hello'. Mostly because I was super glad that my former seat partner wasn't on the plane with me since we made a brief stop at another Airport. However, the moment the girl and I switched planes and ended up on the same flight again, we had warmed up to each other.

And now—now, the fact that I know nothing tangible about her, shocks me to my bone.

Using the time it takes for everyone to filter out, I study her features. She has long eyelashes which softly rest on her full cheeks, her lips are full and curved, combining that with her straight pointy nose, and her long wavy brown hair which reaches down to her waist, she's lethally beautiful.

That's if there's any word like that. If my mum was here right now, she wouldn't let the fact that I used such a word pass away quietly.

Mum.

Oddly, I didn't think about home till I arrived. I come from a popular country - well, it's popular for different reasons. A nation where nothing is taken seriously and anything can be turned into a joke. A country where nothing is as it seems.

You can't survive in there if you are not strong-minded. A country that didn't have a constant power supply that whenever we do everyone screams. But amidst all this we are still happy.

How? It still eludes me till today.

Maybe that's what makes me see the bad before seeing the good news —can't say. But it's the major reason why I did apply for a scholarship for better opportunities and to get out of there.

A sound startles me and I look up to see the person next to her get up. A quick scan of the plane makes me realize almost everyone has emptied out. Whoever was staring would have thought I was checking her out. Or worse, I was a creep, checking her out!

Shifting my gaze away from her, I adjust myself and re-pack my voluminous afro with an elastic band for the sixth, if not seventh time, when she yawns next to me.

Good, she's up. I glance at her to see her red-stained lips in a pretty smile as she stretches, her honey eyes flicker to mine before she waves. "Hey."

"Hey," I repeat, before getting up. She mirrors my action but calmly smooths down her gown by running her fingers down them, then through her hair.

Nice, I can't do the same. While her hair is long and wavy, mine is curly and short. But not something you will easily run your hand through— perks of being African.

We alight the plane then walk through to baggage claims, the sound of rolling tires and an automated voice a background noise. Shocked, I gape at the number of mixed races and white people I notice. Back home, it was only a handful I came across. Without even trying, a feeling of insecurity grips me.

I turn to see if the girl might be sharing the same feeling as I am, seeing as she is also coloured, albeit only a little. But there is no trace of it in her confident posture and her raised chin. "I hope we meet again." she says, then wraps her hands around me. In shock, I stand there not bothering to reciprocate.