𝙳𝙸𝚂𝙹𝙾𝙸𝙽𝚃𝙴𝙳

Note: If you are not reading this chapter after reading FIFTEEN, then you're reading it wrong. Do go back and read FIFTEEN before coming to read this.

-------
The next morning comes by so fast, I barely have time to grasp it. Staring at the play of sunlight on the dashboard coming through the window, I mull over what to say - Nate and I aren't talking - as the drive towards school is thickened with tension.

Earlier this morning, I had gone about my daily task trying to ignore the mix of excitement and gloom in the air.

The excitement was coming from Mrs. Miller and Riley who took it upon themselves to fill the silence during breakfast with conversation, the gloom was from Richard and Nathan.

I haven't seen Mr. Henry in days and Maria is obviously at peace with the idea. I have a feeling even if she isn't, it won't change anything.

Nate wasn't at breakfast and when he came down he went straight to the car. I had followed and we had both avoided speaking with each other. Now for the past few minutes, I've been finding joy in mundane things.

Suddenly, the deafening silence is filled by a loud melodious tone breaking me from my trance. I glance around to notice it's coming from my phone.

Sighing, I rummage through my bag for my air pods. I have a faint idea of who might be calling and I didn't want Nate hearing the conversation. I sneak a glance at him to see his blue eyes cloudy, it seems as if thoughts are racing behind them but for the most part, his expression is set in his trademark scowl.

Turning my attention back to the phone in my hand, I decide that there could be no harm done. The worst had been done. But still, I use the air pods. "Morning, ma." I greet softly.

"Morning, Mide how are you?" She asks me and I squint my eyes. She didn't call me by my full name which meant she wasn't angry but wanted me to know something.

"I'm fine," I answer softly, keeping my answer short. If she didn't pick up on the fact I didn't use Ma, it simply meant my reply won't matter in this conversation.

"Good, I called to inform you that we will be coming next week Thursday by the grace of God." She mentions casually and I blanch. She didn't even notice I didn't use 'Ma'.

What did she mean by we? What did she even mean by coming?

"Ma?!" I shout out, trying to grasp what she just said. My eyes flicker to Nate at my outburst to see him still scowling. He didn't seem to be bothered by it.

"You heard me. I talked with your dad." I scoff silently, knowing the talk consisted of her shouting and my father nodding till she got tired. Yeah right, A talk. "And I decided I want to see this boy, he so wants you to Marry."

"So that means it's only you?" I implore. If it is only her, I can dissuade her from coming because Nate's character won't sit well with my mum.

Yes, can't believe I found myself protecting Nate. My thoughts are dispelled by my mother's voice.

"Are you deaf?" she asks, raising her voice slightly, "I said, all of us are coming, well, except Adejare." She finishes and I grasp for straw, anything to discourage them.

"What about Keziah, doesn't she have school?" I ask and that's when the little monkey decides to speak up, "No, we will be on mid-term break next week." she screams out happily.

Of course, she will be on midterm break. How convenient. I rake my brain for any excuse but come up with none.

"Well then," My mom speaks after noticing my silence, knowing I had nothing to say, "see you next week."