𝙵𝙸𝙵𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽.

Dedicated to LesLaughLots & Lovelyrolly

                               ••••

Poised at the edge of the couch, with the cold tiles sending tingles beneath my feet, the hair at the back of my neck stands straight. I feel like I am at the brink of an ice glacier about to leap into the cold dark unknown without so much as a harness to rely on. My stomach feels queasy and to my dismay, I still haven't fainted.

An hour has passed since Nate's mom dropped the bombshell and like a chain reaction, a whole series of events followed.

Firstly, Riley was somewhat abrasive to the idea after her initial shock, but after a whole lot of thinking, she was starting to grin and chatter at the endless possibilities.

After which, Richard had wailed mournfully as if his brother had chosen death by agreeing to the marriage

Yes, agreeing. Which brings me to the second event. When the news was broken, Nate had walked out the way he came and his mother had rushed after him. I had sat down as a glimmer of hope rose through me knowing Nate will never agree.

I suspected he would rather move out than agree and my hope had risen when screams and arguments were heard behind the door.

But to my utter dismay, Mrs. Miller had walked back in with such a wide smile—I was surprised her lips had not torn —with Nate in tow, lips set in a grim line. He had simply nodded—but I didn't miss the way his blue veins bulged through his neck and the angry blank look he had in his eyes— then went upstairs.

If Nate couldn't disagree, the realization that this is more than us dawns on me as cold dread settles in my gut.

If this family is okay with it, surely my family won't be. Well, except for my dad, who seems like he has this in mind. But my mom, she will never believe I don't want this, which brings me exactly to this moment.

"Mimi, your phone's been ringing, pick it up," Riley mutters next to me and I nod, eyeing the phone in my hand.

My Mum's name has been flashing on the screen for the last two minutes which is what fills me with fear.

I have a good reason as to why she is calling. But why does a part of me hope she is just calling to ask about the weather?

Slipping quietly away from the midst of Riley and her mom, I excuse myself and find my way upstairs to my room.

The moment I'm in, I lock the door. Sliding down to the floor, I take a deep breath and try to control my breathing and let the cool tiles calm my nerves. Honestly, it feels like the weight of the world has been drooped on my small shoulders that's been with me for nineteen years.

I try to pep talk myself before picking up the screaming phone next to me.

It's just mom. It's not just mom! she can change from caring to harsh within a second and I hated her anger. The best thing is to tread carefully.

Yes, tread carefully. Lord, help me.

Determined, while forcing my hand to stay still, I wipe my sweaty hands on my dress then pick up the vibrating phone. I'll just play safe and feign ignorance. Lowering my voice, I answer the phone. "Hello."

"Ayo! Ayomide, what is this that I'm hearing?" She screams into the phone, and I can picture her with her hands on her waist.

Feign ignorance.

"It depends on what you heard ma." I blurt out, my hands fly up to my mouth instantly regretting it.

"It's like you want me to slap you." She snarls furiously. Her voice comes out in a dangerous pitch that sends shudders through me.