𝙲𝚄𝚁𝙸𝙾𝚂𝙸𝚃𝚈

Heaw Jesus.

I press my hand to my madly beating heart that is threatening to escape from my chest as I jump on the bed. I cover my body with the duvet and curl myself into a fetus position.

I hope they didn't see me. I still remember running like a mad woman, grateful for the darkness, and slamming the door. I just hope they don't know which door is slammed. The only thing I was able to overhear from what mum said wasn't even helping matters.

What does she isn't your typical girl and I'm your typical mother supposed to mean?

The sound of my door opening makes me stiffen. It shuts soon after and seconds after the duvet is yanked off me and I'm left in perfect view of whoever it is.

"Shioor. Stand up oje. Who are you trying to fool?"

I know that voice very well. I trash my leg as I move to sit up on the bed. My mum begins to laugh, shaking her head and beating her thighs as she does. "You know, Ayomide. It's me that gave birth to you not the other way round. Is it not water you went downstairs to drink?"

I fold my arms across my chest and purse my lips. My eyes settle on the bottle of water in her hand. How did I forget? I took the habit from her. Maybe that's why she and Nathan got to meet.

The bed dips next to me as she sits down. She adjusts her purple silk jacket to cover her legs before passing the bottle to me."Here, drink." As I collect the bottle from her and take a swig, her eyes roam over the room.

"I had woken up troubled in my spirit. I didn't understand why. I was on my way to come pray for you when I met the Nathaniel Miller you are supposed to marry."

My interest sparks but I don't show it as I slowly stop drinking and tighten the cap of the bottle. I itch for her to continue, however, she snaps her gaze to me, her eyes turning into slits.

"Did you pray on this room when you came in?"

I press my lips together and dart my eyes away from here. Oh, Lord. I've forgotten the rule about my mum telling my siblings and I to always pray in whichever room we sleep in. I hear her heave a loud sigh next to me. "I was right to bring this then. It explains why I was troubled."

My attention turns to her and I see her slipping out a tiny bottle of Anointing oil from the pocket of her cotton trousers. As she gets up, she cautions me. "Try and take the atmosphere around your seriously."

She doesn't wait for me to respond as she switches on the light and begins to pray under her breath and walks around my room, anointing every spot with oil. Seconds later, she moves to the bathroom by the time I see her come out it's through the closet door. She has a serious look on her face when she finishes the prayer in Jesus' name. "In Jesus's name, I pray-"

"Amen." We both mutter simultaneously. By the time she comes back to meet me at the bed, she seems much more relaxed considering the soft smile on her lips and the way she pats my head.

"Now," she begins putting a bit of oil on my forehead. She murmurs a prayer under her breath, then puts the bottle away."Go to bed, Ayomide. You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow."

I'm sorry what? I am hundred percent positively sure the message didn't transport properly to my brain. However, my mum seems to think so seeing as she's putting away all my things in the bedside drawer, even my phone.

What? I'm sure my eyes and every cell in my body are screaming what about the discussion with Nate? My mum turns deaf ears to all of them and swished to the door, a knowing gait in her step. Right before she shuts the door and leaves my room, she turns to me with a smug smile."Don't forget to switch off the light. Night."