𝙴𝚇𝙿𝙾𝚂𝚄𝚁𝙴

Dedicated to AladegbehingbeMoyino

Ayomide 'Mimi' Lade

•••••

The instant, and I mean the instant we step into the house, mum heads upstairs. Maria walks out of the kitchen and Mrs. Miller shapes her hands into a cup form and tilts it towards her mouth before walking over to the couch and plopping into it.

It's obvious she wants to relax.

The message is clear as Maria goes back into the kitchen. Everyone's reaction towards the event in the shop is so different and while some have gotten over it, like Avery who goes to sit near Mrs. Miller, a curt smile on her face, some haven't.

I roll my head to see Dad having a conversation with Mr. Henry outside, through the gap in the door, as Riley walks in. He doesn't look happy. Sigh.

"Well, today went well." Riley looks around the house as she says this and I chuckle, while shaking my head. It's true if we consider the ending, but then some other things, not really.

I decide to just look at the good side. "Majority of it is thanks to the video. Really, how you caught on to what was happening that fast is still amazing."

She flips her phone in her hand as she fixes me a smug look. "Again, it was nothing. I was on a video-call. I saw their faces and the rest is history." This is the fourth time she's explaining this to me since we left the shop and I know I'm meant to have dropped it but it's just so wonderful. God! I don't even want to think of what would have happened, because out of the three men who came after Mrs. Miller's call, only Mr. Henry looked like he believed.

Dad was just oozing disappointment and Nathan? As his name pops into my head, he walks in with a hand in his pocket, the other holding an iPad. He doesn't look up. He doesn't say anything. Just goes upstairs. I exhale. Nathan didn't look like he gave two hoots. He only spoke up in our defense after watching the video, so really, if I'm still grateful for the video, don't blame me.

Rather than say anything, I offer Riley a smile. "Good." She states as she pats my shoulder and walks towards the dispenser in the dining. Adjusting the nylon holding the shoe box -that caused this whole problem - in hand, I walk towards the stairs to go change.

"Mimi, Mimi, why did the attendants talk like that?" Keziah asks in a loud voice behind me, her footsteps as she runs in the only thing overpowering it. Not knowing how to explain racism or it's origin to her, I lift my legs and climb up the winding staircase.

That doesn't stop her. "Mmh, why?"

"Go talk to Mum." I blurt out, not in the mood for history lessons.

"But she's angry."

"Meet dad."

"But he's also angry." She argues, her voice coming out in a whine.

Drawing in a deep breath, I halt abruptly and she slams her head into my thighs. I turn around to see her looking up to me, her lips in a pout, one hand on the railing but her eyes aglow with the curiosity.

"No, he will still talk to you. Go." I order, then add when she slowly turns around, "And ask him for the book, What's wrong with being black?"

"I have to read?" I want to laugh at the face she makes. The book isn't something she will finish in a day, or understand completely and it might keep her busy till God knows when.

"It's interesting." She murmurs under her breath at my statement but still turns to go anyway. Eh! Powers of a first born. When I'm sure I don't see her shadow anymore, I continue my journey to my room, the nylon in my hand rustling as I do so.