𝚃𝙷𝙸𝚁𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽.

******
Riley's words ring in my mind as I perform my morning rituals.

Nate can't stand the sight of blood.

As I have breakfast and Maria stops me from doing any chores - even when I argue with her that I'm not pregnant and I'm fine.

Nate can't stand the sight of blood.

As Riley hugs me and I wave goodbye to her and Mrs. Miller, conveniently ignoring Richard.

Nate can't stand the sight of blood

And even now as I stand outside, scrutinizing how yesterday's seat that got stained with blood is spotless, it still rings there. Louder this time.

Nate can't stand the sight of blood!

My self-control breaks and I scream out in frustration. I run my hands through my hair and squeeze my eyes shut. This is highly embarrassing and frustrating.

I need a book, notepad, paper...anything where I can just write down my thoughts and try to analyze them as a psychologist and try to understand as a Christian.

"Miss."

I open my eyes and turn to see a stocky man in a crisp black suit, his eyes sharp and alert. He looks like he had gone through lots of fight considering his slight crooked nose. I spy the earpiece I had seen on Tim and Kim earlier when Riley and I went for a tour and realize he is security.

"Are you okay?" His question is crisp. His voice bare of alarm, but his hands twitching as if expecting something to jump out. My scream must have attracted him.

"Uh yes. Just. . ." I dart my eyes around to look for a sort of excuse. "Well, I hit my leg on the tire."

What! I wasn't born to lie.

"Okay." he drawls out, looking unsure and probable realizing how pathetic my excuse is.

I instantly feel sheepish. An awkward beat passes between us before he finally nods and excuses himself.

Well, that went well.

This is why you should avoid lying.

My spirit chides me and I scoff.

The front door creaks open behind me. I don't make the mistake of looking there just in case Nathan and I have 'accidental' eye contact.

I know it's Nathan the moment he steps out because everyone in the house has gone out. Well, apart from Maria and she hardly uses the front door.

I focus my attention on my feet till I hear his footsteps recede, his delightful perfume tease my nose, then the soft thud of the car door being shut. I glance to see Nathan seated in the driver's seat. It looks like he is avoiding conversation.

Well, that makes two of us.

The slight scent of disinfectants tingles my nostrils as I slip into the car.

A few seconds after, he slowly eases out of the driveway and I turn my direction towards the window.

No words are exchanged between us as the uncomfortable silence grows. My fingers start to twitch and I hide them in my dress pocket before he complains that the action is disturbing him again.

The past few weeks with Nathan have been nothing but confusing. Topping the list now is his sudden show of care towards me yesterday. It would have been fine if he could stand blood but if he couldn't, how was he able to even be around me? And who even cleaned up my blood? I gasp, hoping it's not one of the guards.