Chapter fifteen- Questionable interactions

Chima stood outside Runesu's family hut cluster confused and in desperate need of answers. Her hut stood destitute comparing it to the other villagers. The inside slowly dilapidating from the lack of life and care from within. Initially calling out a couple of times before he entered and when tired of no response, the more puzzled he got from examining the premises.

Chima had wanted to apologize to Runesu for potentially making her uncomfortable the night of the festival, prying into her life ad asking too many questions. The only reason he continued to burrow his life into hers was because she was mysterious and it was elucidating. It felt bitter sweet to discover more about her.

The moment he felt he understood a fragment of existence, a totally different situation would arise, but just as a potter would continue molding his hari even when told to stop, Chima would not stop his handiwork. He was desperate to be in Runesu's presence even when she was upset with him. He could not comprehend the effect Runesu had on him, even facing a rhino head on in the wilderness would not make his heart beat as it did when he slightly held Runesu's hand for a moment that night.

Picking up the mugoti and scarce utilities clustered in the corner and covered with dust, he blew off the cobwebs before slightly arranging the hut floor then leaving. He felt the sun rays hit his face as he stepped out of the hut opening, his heart was warmed when he started watching a group of boys playing a game with a heap of sand.

" Ahh! It was my turn! That's not fair Tapiwa! "

"Hoo look, that man entered the witches house! He is going to be cursed!"

As the boys pointed in awe and amusement at him, Chima felt slightly offended.

"Aikaka what are you saying? Have you not learned manners from your elders?"

As the boys giggled and started to retreat and run away, Chima ran to grab one of the boy's flimsy arm. The boys soon realized how quick he was on his feet.

"I didn't say anything, I am sorry...I did not mean it!"

He sounded scared as he stammered while trying to pry his bony arm from Chima's strong grip.

"I do not want to beat you, just tell me about this hut and the people who live here and I promise to let you go."

The boy hesitantly nodded as he started clearing his throat.

"It's not what I think, it is just the story I heard from the other boys in the village..."

Looking at the boy, Chima smiled.

"I understand. You can now tell me, let us sit here for a little bit. "

.....................................................................................................................

Walking up the Pokoda mountain away from Karimba village, Chima could not walk away from the reverberating story in a small child's voice continually reliving itself in his mind.

"Kuda, the boy with many cows in their family pen, he he told us to go to the royal river sectioning as a dare and I did not want to be the only one to refuse... so I went. We went to take a dip and left our cow skin coverings near some shade. Afterwards, the boys ran out of the water and left me, taking my covering with them."

"I'm sorry to hear that Unopa."

"It is alright, I was just trying to make friends because I do not have any but they can be mean at times."

He stared at the ground as he recalled a memory that seemed to make him feel uncomfortable. Rubbing his hands together, he continued.

"I couldn't go home after that, I would have been humiliated and then beaten by my uncle because he said the boys are ill mannered and I shouldn't play with them, so I stayed behind a tree thinking of what to do next and eventually fell asleep."