Chapter Twenty Six- Arbitrament Preparations

The request for my return to Pokoda only worsened my relations with Narufu. Unimpressed by my hard efforts to learn Shintu and to become one of their own, he had disregarded me. He claimed that I was a tainted river, that one would only be poisoned by trying to cleanse and drink from it. Runesu had heard of my decision through the out roar that had previously happened at King Narufu's counsel meeting that evening and she had made her way down to Menhe and Bule's homestead by dawn.

I was to be accompanied by Menhe back to Pokoda and prayed to the heavens that I would be welcomed back to Pokoda with minimum hostility. Menhe had informed me of Father's illness of some sort, letting Rima taking over the throne... only motivating me more to go back to be with him, I was all he had left. Stuffing Shintu wrapping material into the now worn out leather bag I once used to escape Pokoda, I gently placed my few belongings into the tattered sac.

Leaving the low round hut, I ducked out and as soon as I stepped out, my eyes met Runesu's  in the blueness of dawn. She extended her arms, holding out a freshly sown skin sack.

"It would be better to go with your belongings in your hands than use that old bag."

She cheeklily stated. Quietly reaching out to get the new bag from her grasp, I nodded her way to show my gratitude and she took hold of my wrist.

"Amasa... Please do not leave me like this."

Runesu pleaded in a weak voice.

"I am going back to my Father, he is all I have."

"You are all I have! Please don't go."

Runesu's voice cracked with emotion and she started to cry unapologetically.

Holding her in a tight embrace and she hugging me back, I held back my tears.

"He needs me more."

"I said I was sorry Amasa! You do not need to do this!"

Her sadness developed into anger.

"It is not only about that and you know that Runesu. I do not belong here, even after changing my entirety this past season, I am still not enough."

A tear escaped and fell down my cheek.

"I may never have true happiness without you in Pokoda, but I will  have acceptance, I am so sorry Runesu but I need to go."

Runesu pulled me in tightly and sobbed harder.

"It is all my fault."

"It was never our fault, we did not ask to be born in this mess."

Pulling out of her embrace, I stared straight into her eyes and smiled.

"You are the best thing the heavens have given to me, my own blood who fought, sacrificed and cared for me, for that I love you and give you my heart. I will never forget you. You will constantly remain in my mind. Every memory I will have will always be entangled with those that I once had with you...stay strong for me, you are royalty."

She smiled slightly. I continued consoling her.

"To change, I need to deliberately make different decisions."

Hugging me one last time, caressing me with all the love she could, she finally dropped her arms beside her, at length letting me go.She stared at me and mustered up her voice to speak back.

"Goodbye Amasa."

............................................

Menhe had been watching from the distance, nodding my way to tell me that it was time to go. Runesu  she smiled at me then broke down into tears, collapsing to the ground as she wailed out loud. I walked away.