Chapter eighteen - Winnowing chaff

Everything that evening appeared more beautiful to me than I had ever seen before. The trees looked peaceful, in harmony with the rocks . Nature accomodated the high walls that stood erected by the disrupt of man. The whistling of hiding insects echoed from the grass and the stars were slowly showing themselves to Pokoda. I turned the last curve of the palace wall feeling on edge. I did not want to get caught.

"I told you that I took care of the Pokoda warriors, why are you dressed like that?"

Rima took in my presence from head to toe from my head covering , cow skin shawl and skirt to the numerous bracelets I laid upon each other from my ankles up. I could not get myself to leave most of my accessories behind.

"Amasa if you were trying to be discrete, this isn't the way. The rattling of your beads can waken an old man from a deep sleep."

Rima chuckled like a young boy. I was slightly taken aback, his demeanor seemed jovial and sweet. Was he trying to crack a joke with me?

"I did this for other reasons."

Walking to the boulder behind me, Rima lifted my skin sack that I placed there previously with a few more items that I needed for my journey.

"Like running away after spending the night with me?"

I grabbed my sack from his hands and put it back behind the boulder. I was angry and ashamed that I was so predictable to Rima, furthermore that I could not get anything done privately in this Kingdom.

"You're spying on me now?"

I ripped the dhuku of my head and unclipped my shawl, stuffing them into my well tailored bag. Father, or should I say Toga had got it made personally from an eastern trader, who specialized in leather accessories for royalties. When he handed me the bag that day, I remember getting upset from such a gift knowing very well that he wouldn't let me travel anywhere. At least my luxurious sack was going to serve its purpose now.

"I don't need to spy on you to know that you are going to try and flee back to your home after you found out that you are of Shintu blood."

Rima stared at the clutter of items that had escaped my bag and had scattered on the floor.

"And by the way, you're a terrible packer Amasa."

Placing the sack down slowly I was confused. How did Rima know all the happenings?

"How did you?"

"How can I forget the day I overheard my Father being viciously threatened by Toga to being burnt alive if word got out that you weren't his own."

Taking both of my hands into his, Rima smiled. I looked back at him puzzled.

"You know what I do find funny though Amasa? I lay with you when we were young knowing fully well that I was not related to you and not jeopardizing any future power role, but you did. You slept with your own blood and that sickens me."

Rima's grew tighter around my wrists and I was struggling to get free.

"To think that I once cared for you. All you do is take and that's all you do. You are taking too much from me at this point and I hate it."

"What are you doing Rima, let me go!"

He turned me around and secured my neck in a choke hold while his other arm hugged my arms down. I grew frantic.

"You better keep it down, do you not see what position you are in?"

Catching Menhe with the corner of my eye, he appeared from behind with my sack in hand. I calmed down a little, at least I was now safe.