Chapter five- Chioneko, my beauty

"You are special Amasa, you really are."

My hair was wet, with water dripping down my face. My feet were immersed in the clear water to my ankles, having the large tree cast a calming shade upon my mother and I. Sitting by the edge of the rock, mother worked on my hair while I was cradled between her thighs.

"Don't let any hardships or burdens pull you down my child, you yourself are my little Princess...My warrior of strength."

I giggled and started splashing the water with my feet.

"Amasa! What are you doing now, I just dried myself!"

"Mama! I'm not a warrior! I cannot even endure this time while you do my hair, what more holding a spear!"

Her warmth covered my entirety as she hugged me from behind.

"Well then my dear child, would a warrior not be able to survive this!"

My body tingled to every tickle. I wanted to get away but at the same time, I didn't want the feeling to end. I jumped into the river, bumping my left arm onto the rock in the process. I was completely covered by the water, fully cool and content. It was so beautiful, the whirls of the dissimilar bubbles around me, the fluttering of my own heart, the sunlight filtering through to the depths of the water.

"Chioneko, I told you to be careful with Amasa, how could she get a hurt when she's with her own mother?"

Mother wrapped her short arms around Father's waist.

"My King, I said I am sorry, you know how mistakes happen, she slipped off the rock by the river, it won't happen again."

Father looked down upon my mother's face with a stern look.

"Toga! I said I'm sorry...now soften your face, it'll heal in time, even Amasa has forgiven me already."

Chioneko's words dripped out of her mouth like honey, softening the ears of anyone who her words fell upon. Father once again gave into her charm, letting the edges of his lips curl into a smile.

"Chioneko, just because you have an ability to strip me of my anger does not mean that I have let this go."

Father leaned closer into my mother's embrace.

"My King, you were the one who complained she had no birth mark, think of the bruise as a blessing, she has a mark of royalty, a memory of her mother on her arm."

King Toga laughed.

"I do not think that is how birth marks work my dear, the way you think sometimes Chioneko, anyway...it is done, now please loosen your hold on me before I get sternly advised again not to show too much affection towards you in the open, I cannot promise self-control around you."

A heavy gaze rested between the two of them and stirred an unusual feeling inside of me; I had witnessed something extraordinary, something true, and something beautiful.

My eyes opened as I lurched off my mat, heart pounding and hands sweating, I was not sure why this memory revived in my mind.

I needed the fresh air. Settling down on a nearby granite rock facing the highly built wall, I took in the tranquillity that came with the quiet. I caressed the scars on my arm as I looked at their resemblance of the chevron design that was placed within the palace walls, my Father was so sentimental.

"May I please take the seat beside you?"

Shocked by Father's actions, I made some space for him by wiggling my body away from him as a sign of acceptance of his presence. He hardly got out of the throne room, let alone walked towards the Pokoda wall's entrance.

"You seem quite low lately Amasa, What seems to be the problem?"

"And you seem quite strong King Toga to reveal yourself and ask me of my well being."

Fiddling with his tsvimbo staff between his hands, King Toga cleared his throat. I stole a glance at him.

"I am grateful you came out here, your legs will wither from lack of use Father."

Stealing a glance from the corner of his eye, King Toga took in my nonchalant facial expression.

"I will only stretch my legs for you my daughter."

He was always very frank in speech, even affectionate words sounded like hollow commands. I didn't mind, over the years, his monotonous words brought more warmth to my heart than the open fire during the rainy season.

"Aren't I always down? Don't tire yourself out by worrying all the time."

King Toga's expression was smeared by confusion, indecisive of the route he was going to take with this conversation.

"Father,"

"Yes Princess Amasa..."

I couldn't hesitate with asking now.

"Father, are you content?"

"Why do you ask me such a question Amasa? I am very much so content."

"What makes you content?"

King Toga lifted his head as his attention was now fully caught by my question. I couldn't tell if it was intrigue or confusion he felt when he heard my question.

"How can I not be content from the advancement of my Kingdom and the prosperity of the lands with the good health of my people?"

If only I could be content from such, that was not enough, I felt a bottomless pit within my soul I tried to close so many times that just could not be satisfied by the ordinary.

"I guess I am selfish then..."

"Say what you have on your mind Amasa?"

With my hands cupped in my lap, I continued to press on with the matter, I had nothing to lose, not even happiness.

"It seems like only yesterday when Mother told me that happiness is a choice, my heart is burdened because I have failed to choose it."

"What are you trying to say?"

His patience was wearing out; he had not come outside for child's play.

"I have grown up in love, wealth and protection, yet my heart yearns to venture out of these walls, if I choose happiness, you will never forgive me for that is the only thing you have refused to let me do."

"What is luring you out there Amasa? Can't you find the joy that comes with peaceful living in the tribe, the togetherness, the protection, the unity? My child, the Lion may be soft to the touch, but, it will only tolerate you for so long before it turns on you to devour...that is the nature of the wilderness. "

King Toga's eyes reflected the night in broad daylight, it made me feel uneasy.

"However, you say it from experience right Father? I also want to speak from that perspective, I want to dish out advice and not take it, be the one who sees so that I may warn the rest, my heart is not at rest and will race until I can roam free in the unknown .I want to choose happiness Father...this is my calling."

"Couldn't you choose an easier choice for happiness Amasa? Why not have an easier choice for happiness that does not go against my entire existence?"

"It seems poisonous berries always look the ripest."

"You are right..."

King Toga stood up from the rock and leaned on his tsvimbo staff for support.

"I am?"

"About two facts my child."

I was astonished.

"Those two facts being?"

"You are selfish...and poisonous berries may be succulent, but they will still kill you."

I had no more to say. Father walked off, leaving me not knowing of when we would have our next uncomfortable conversation.

....................................................................................................................................................