Chapter nineteen- Simmering conversations

The large pot shook above the fire stand from the vigorous stirring. The two voluptuous women took turns to pound the sadza to a fluffy soft texture. The steam rose onto their faces in attempt to escape, only to condense into sweat. Vabhebhe continued to shout orders at them to stir faster before any lumps were formed. Chima had lost his willpower to make small conversation as he passed the village women. The firewood crackled and the fire brightened in the dark night, inevitably leaving a glow on everyone's face that was near.

 The food smelt delightful, Chima dreaded the fact that he no longer would receive prepared meals from the royal headquarters, he would soon need to marry or else he'd starve to death, especially if he had to cook alone. The one thing that he didn't understand was why Vabhebhe was cooking in Karimba tonight and not at the palace.

"Young man! Come here! We need you to carry this pot off the fire."

Vabhebhe ordered him while aggressively pointing to the sadza pot and back at Chima. Chima was slightly annoyed, he could have asked more nicely considering that he did not owe it to him to help. They would have figured something out if he wasn't around. Quietly aiding the two women to place the pot beside the fire off the stand, they overly praised him as he was about to take his leave and he politely responded with a gentle nod.

"You can lift some of that firewood and add them to the fire before you leave eh!"

Chima couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"You can do that yourself, I have somewhere to be."

Vabhebhe put his hand on his waist and vigorously shook his finger at Chima with his belly simultaneously rippling with his movement.

"Young men of these days! They cannot help without using their sharp tongues to complain."

Vabhebhe retaliated.

"With all due respect Vabhebhe, you have paid servants to send around, and I am not one of them."

Vabhebhe took time to examine Chima's face.

"Aren't you that palace warrior obsessed with Runesu? I was given authority to give even warriors orders. Now hurry, I don't want my healthy fire to dissipate into smoke and ashes!"

"I'm not a warrior anymore alright! You'll have to figure it out yourself."

Chima's composure finally broke. It felt very unnatural for Chima to raise his voice, even his shout was coated in gentleness. Vabhebhe ordered the women to pick up the firewood and finish the meal preparations as he bounced his way to Chima.

"My good friend, whats wrong eh? I've seen you around here and there...you seem troubled."

Vabhebhe talked as he slapped Chima's back. Chima did not know how to respond so he just remained quiet.

"Why are you quiet all of a sudden ehh? I'm only trying to share your burden."

Vabhebhe spoke in a harsh whisper as he continuously looked back at the village women. Chima couldn't tell if it was to make sure they were working or in fear they may be eavesdropping on their conversation. Chima was certain Vabhebhe's extended hand of help was for himself to know of the latest gossip in Pokoda first, but Chima didn't care anymore, he was rock bottom and had no one to tell.

"I heard that you were fired by the king himself, yet you are still breathing and walking! Ikeke! The ancestors must really like you child or the king has just become soft. Speaking of soft, excuse me."

Looking back and flapping his hands, Vabhebhe shouted loudly, slightly startling Chima.

"Why do I smell the relish burning! Do I have to tell you everything oh Karimba! Stir that pot ikeke!"