Chapter ten- Good intentions

It was late. The dark and steady yonder of the night relaxed the elders to retire into their huts ,while the evening wildlife croaked lullaby's that gradually closed the exhausted children's eyes into a deep sleep. For the youth however, there was a restlessness to celebrate, the festivities had just begun.

The festival bonfire continued burning as they jubilantly danced, vigorously shaking their waists and stomping their feet from the energy that came from the excitement of the night. This vibrancy unfortunately did not carry itself into the witch doctors hut.

 Muvuri's room was dim and filled with smoke from the struggling fire burning in the center of his hut. The thick ashy fog irritated Runesu's eyes and the floor upon which she sat scraped on her shins,nevertheless she did not complain. Runesu could finally converse with Muvuri freely under the pretense of a sacred cleansing ritual to abolish all the evil spirits she carried that caused her to be of bad luck.

"If you have plans, make sure that they're completely thought through.... you must be insane for coming to the rain festival as an eligible maiden."

Muvuri was visibly angry, cross legged on the floor ,he kept rearranging the beads and bones he had purposely spilt on his hut floor.

" I was dragged into it Muvuri, Amasa has grown curious about my relationships with people in this kingdom ,especially Menhe... This morning I was trying to deter her from finding out the truth."

"You need to understand one thing, I am not your walking stick ... I am not here to help you. I rescued you from being exposed due to the fact that I still have loyalty to my own blood."

Runesu scoffed. Due to Muvuri's 'visions', Amasa was hidden away in a palace prison, her movements were restricted and her life was wasting away, how did that show loyalty to Muvuri's blood?

" How are you being loyal to your own blood living in enemy terrain? You are just endangering all of us Muvuri... Too may people know too much! I know it was you who gave the Shintu warrior access to the Tiramu river, how did he get there? Even Rima knew details about the spy too... can you even explain how he found out?"

Muvuri calmy scooped up his beads and bones with both of his hands as he placed them into the leather pouch tied around his waist.

" I respect you because you are of royalty Runesu, that is the only reason I will not question your intelligence. I am not your ali, Rima is... hence I do not owe you any explanations either, however, I am still compelled to justice. Amasa needs to be reunited with her tribe, this is why I did not utter a word when you were assigned as her maiden."

Runesu crossing her arms let out and heavy sigh.

" You are endangering my plans! The Pokoda walls and Karimba village has been surrounded by warriors for many days now....I have no way of escaping out with Amasa undetected! You need to report all your actions to me before you do them, at this point all our efforts are clashing!"

Tightening his leather pouch with his thick skinned callous filled hands, Menhe slightly looked up at Runesu.

" I am not the firewood to your fire... I do not recall you being there for me when your father tore my back into shreds with cow whips... do not exasperate me."

Muvuri calmly continued speaking.

" I did not have power in your kingdom Runesu... but here in the Pokoda, you will dance to my rhythm."

" Do not trample on my toes Muvuri, do you hear me? I can ruin this little facade of a life you are leading... if Toga were to find out what you're really doing you would die in an instant!"