{03}

Darkness became light.

My eyes peeled open, taking in my surroundings.

A duvet caressed me.

I was in an inn, a nice room.

The sun shone through the window, though it was covered by a thin curtain.

I gazed at its beam of light, watched the dust float in the air.

As I inhaled, the smell of wood filling my nostrils, I gasped in a startle.

He was there in the corner, his blue eyes peering into my green ones.

"You... You're here."

"I am."

"Where...?"

"You're safe... I take it you're hungry?"

I sat up, rubbing my head.

"You'll have to forgive me for that," he stated, "it was a precaution. After what you did to the first two, I couldn't risk anything else."

I peered down, fidgeting.

"What is it?"

"...You killed them..."

"I did what had to be done."

I sighed heavily, holding back tears, "no, you didn't."

He paused, hearing my voice quiver.

Then I peered up at him, "you're drawn to violence, aren't you?"

He said nothing for a moment, then, "you are too."

My heart skipped a beat.

"We're not very different. I assume there was a reason you did that to your village," he moved closer to the bed, slowly, like a fox. 

I pulled the cover up, hiding.

"There is always a reason for death, bloodshed. There is a reason for everything."

He tried inching closer, stopping when my eyes glinted.

I pushed my body back to the wall, "you're a monster."

"I'm Cahir."

I eyed him tensely. His high cheekbones, prominent brows, piercing blue eyes, the textures of his skin, scars. He looked mystical.

"And you, what is your name?"

I hesitated, "Mira-Mirabel."

"Well Mirabel," he sat on the corner of the bed, "as I said, you're safe with me. Despite your perceptions, I'm not as bad as you think. I'm here to help."

"You wouldn't be the first to say that, and I doubt you'll be the last."

He furrowed his brow.

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Black Knight. Sooner or later, I'll only end up hurting you too."

He stood, ushering to the food on the table, "I'd suggest eating something. We've a long journey before we arrive at our next destination."

---

Weeks came and went as we trod the land.

My bones ached. Cahir had me on horseback, in front, next to him. 

In our next couple of raids, he provided more weather-appropriate clothing, saying little to me as he and his men slaughtered several Cintran villagers.

Fearing my inability to control whatever power I'd amassed, he had me stay behind with a small group of his men.

But he wanted me to observe.