{10}

"What. The. Hell." someone said behind us, Jaskier, who dropped his half-eaten pie, gawked at us.

He marched over, "Geralt, she stole our money!"

The wolf grunted, "she put it to better use than what we probably would have."

Jaskier grumbled, "anyways, can we go? I'm getting bored of this place. You took care of all that business, right?"

The Witcher didn't reply as he marched out of the alleyway, ushering me to follow him. I listened, giving Jaskier a look as I walked past him. He stared at me, still gawking.

"Where are we going?" I asked as the Witcher approached his horse.

He looked at me, "get on."

I frowned a moment, then mounted his steed. The horse adjusted to our weight as the Witcher sat behind me, holding the reins.

"What about him?" I asked, looking at the bard.

"Yeah, what about me?" Jaskier continued, flailing his arms to the side.

"You've made it this far on those feet of yours. And like I said, you can leave whenever you want." 

The Witcher signaled the horse to start walking, "come on Roach."

As we headed toward one of the town entrances, I spotted a couple of Nilfgaardian soldiers pestering a woman. Drunken, they paid little attention to passersby, but I must have been staring too long because they paused their assault and glared at the Witcher.

I put my hood up and lowered my head.

The woman, given the men's distraction, ran off quickly.

"The fuck you lookin' at?" one of the soldiers belched.

Geralt grunted as we continued our journey.

---

Neither of us said much to each other. It'd been a couple of days of travel from the town, and the Witcher still hadn't answered my questions.

Where are we going?

Why do you help me?

Who's Yennefer?

The only sound really was Roach's walking, Jaskier's singing and grunting, and the sounds in the dark.

On our third day of travel, we parted ways with Jaskier. This was the result of an argument that arose.

"How long have you two been friends?" I asked after the argument.

Geralt grunted.

"Could you at least answer me for once?"

I felt the Witcher's grip on the reins tighten slightly, "no."

"Did you really have to snap at him like that?" I muttered, and Geralt stopped the horse.

I felt my heart rate increase slightly. I dared not look back at the Witcher, who grew tense.

I felt fear.

"Now what, you pissed at me to-"

I turned to look at the wolf, who looked around the forest anxiously, "shh." 

I paused in confusion, then listened, hearing something rustling in the trees.

Geralt dismounted, then looked up at me, "wait here."

I huffed, glaring at him pull out his sword and disappearing into the trees. I felt Roach grow weary, so I patted the horse gently to calm him.

I heard distant grunts and growls, followed by more rustling.