{06}

"Tell me something," I started, "why wasn't I made aware of the Witcher?"

Cahir's shoulders tensed, more than usual.

"To be fair," my eye twitched, "we hadn't much acquainted ourselves, you being so busy with training, I leading..." He responded.

"True, but,... Well, we are always here, like this," I gestured to our horseriding next to each other, "for weeks."

He nodded his head, rationalizing in his mind, his head moving side-to-side, "Well yes, I suppose so. I've never been fond of... socializing. At least, not unless otherwise needed."

"Needed?"

"Commanding the infantry and such."

"Commanding isn't really socializing, you know."

"No," he smiled, "I suppose not."

Adrenaline rushed through my veins, "you know," I blurted, "it would be nice to talk more... Like this I mean. Less of the brooding, more of the-," I gestured, struggling for the words.

"-connecting?", his expression was blank, but I could feel something in his eyes.

I felt something stir in me.

He continued, "besides, I wasn't expecting to see his kind there, with their morals and dwindling presence. It was an error on my part, assuming you'd already know of one of the deadliest creatures in existence. I guess it hadn't crossed my mind."

He chuckled.

The stir.

A pause.

Then he looked at me again, "you seem a bit shaken though, I hope you're all right."

His eyes softened a moment, before that fierce icy gaze of his returned.

Perhaps I imagined it.

He looked ahead once more.

Fringilla strided over to us.

I think she was eavesdropping.

"It's good we managed to get the Queen out of the way," she stated, though Cahir didn't even turn to acknowledge her.

She looked at me, "tell me, how is it you killed her?"

I cocked my head at her, as if startled, "wouldn't you like to know?"

I glanced at Cahir, a small smirk forming across his face.

"It doesn't matter how she did it, Fringilla, what matters is she's dead."

"But-" she hesitated cautiously, "she's a child. I'm shocked she managed to pull something of this nature off."

I could sense Cahir tense slightly.

I pursed my lips, eying the other mages who looked at us anxiously.

"You know," I glared at her, "I understand you weren't with us for the first bit of battles I was involved with, but you were there when we... when I burned Cintra's capital to the ground. And where were you, mage?"

She pursed her lips, slowing to regroup with the others, walking some distance behind us.

I heard her whisper "witch" under her breath.

I smirked. Bitch. They rhyme.

"You are a fiery one, Mira," Cahir's smirk grew into a smile, holding in laughter.

My lips parted in surprise, "was that a joke?"

He merely smiled in reply.

Interesting, this one I thought, not the same 'Black Knight' I'd have assumed when we first met.