{00}

.[Content Warning: Violence and Abuse]

I stare down at the flames, hugging myself amidst the chaos that had ensued.

Blurred images, muffled screams, they all flashed through my mind.

It was all confusing.

What happened?

---------

The day it began.

Was the day it all ended.

I was young then, fourteen. I stirred, like any other day, as the first signs of light shone through the window.

Mother and father were already outside, feeding the pigs, tending to our cow, milking the goats for cheese we'd sell in the market later.

Our family dog lay next to me, licking my face.

I giggled in protest and grunted at the heat of the sun.

When I sat up, I felt strange.

I felt a sudden jolt of pain in my stomach.

Keeling over, I sighed heavily and looked down.

One single red splotch on the blanket.

I lifted it from myself.

Then screamed.

Mother rushed in, father shortly after.

I sobbed and screamed.

"I'm dying! I'm dying! Mother, you must help, I'm dying!"

Mother crept in front of me, holding my face gently, and stared down at the blood.

"Oh honeysuckle, everything will be all right. You're not dying," she looked over at my father, nodding him outside.

Fellow villagers could be heard gathering outside.

"Ya hear that? What's all this fuss?"

"She did somethin' 'gain, din' she?"

"Should'a burnd 'er ages ago."

"Witch!"

"Damned brat!"

"Could you tell them off already!" Mother shouted.

Father was talking with the others, trying to calm them.

"Let us get you cleaned up then, shall we?" Mother said, meekly, "In the meantime, try calming down dear."

She cleaned me, then washed the blood from her hands.

"See? Nothing to worry about. We're just going to give you some extra cloth, which you use here to keep you nice and dry."

"What about the pain?"

"You can take the time off today, okay? Try to stay inside and relax. You might be a bit more sensitive today. Once supper comes, we can sit down and talk about this nice and proper, okay?"

I nodded.

"I've left bread on the table for you, and some milk. Bertie made it fresh just for you."

I wiped the remnants of my tears.

----

I slept most of the day then, stirring occasionally when I'd heard a loud sound, or when a crow cawed too much.

Somehow they knew when I'd woken, for then they'd silence themselves.

When I'd woken later, before the sun started to set, I overheard my parents in the kitchen.