{08}

Groggy eyes opened.

The right side of her body was covered in cold dirt.

She sat up, brushing it off her skin, and stood, black dots clouding her vision.

Where...?

She took in her surroundings, just trees.

But she felt like she was being watched.

She spotted the crows perched in the trees, tilting their heads as she began to wander.

She winced at the sudden stings across her skin. 

The trees were grabbing her as she ran.

Ran from him.

Her stomach churned, remembering what'd happened.

~~~

I hugged myself, the information flooding into my mind. 

How long have I been gone?

I ran my hand through my thick, messy hair, brushing twigs out of my locks.

I eyed my cuts again, running my hand over them. Nothing healed. I was too tired.

I need help.

When did I last eat?

I placed a hand on my stomach as it grumbled.

My mouth dried in anxiety.

Then I heard steps around me.

I shot my head around to the noises.

I spotted something.

Elves.

I felt my pounding heart through the throbbing pain in my head.

"G-get back!" I shouted through barred teeth.

They drew closer, the world started spinning.

The cold ground, a thin layer of frost topping it, grabbed me as I fell.

It was suddenly dark, and as much as I screamed in my mind, not a sound passed my lips.

"Bring her here," someone said. He spoke with an accent.

I felt a warm hand on my forehead, "she's freezing. How long has she been there, wearing this?"

Someone else spoke, "two days, at least. We followed her after we spotted her fleeing the scene of... that."

"I see... She's lucky she survived. I doubt she's human," the accented voice said, "was she followed?"

"No," the other said.

Someone covered me with a blanket. I immediately curled it tight around me, subconsciously.

After some time, my eyes opened slowly. I was in a tent, laying on cushions, surrounded by glass containers of herbs. 

Then I drew back startled, seeing an elf staring at me. Before I could say anything, his eyes shifted, his face went red in embarrassment as he tried to explain himself.

"F-Forgive me, I didn't mean to startle you," he blurted, his face flushing.

It was that accent.

"Who might you be?" I asked, clutching the blanket close.

"I'm Chireadan," he croaked, then cleared his throat.

Silence.

"A-and you?"