{13}

[WARNING: This chapter depicts sexual intimacy.]

I stalked, aimlessly, with the subconscious goal of finding him.

Why I wanted to find him so badly, well, it was hard to place. But I had several theories:

Revenge.

Anger.

Grief.

And something else. Something that pitied him. Something that pitied me. A hole in my heart.

The beast stirred in my chest.

I hid in the trees, my dark attire aiding in the endeavor.

My breath caught in the crisp air, cold vapors.

They were all exhausted, and I couldn't blame them. Their new armor surely made it worse.

Added weight. 

Shoulders.

Though I'd been a part of their ruthlessness, seen what they were capable of, I knew what they were.

Human.

Like me. I thought.

Well, human in form. In mind, many lacked.

After what felt like an hour of watching. waiting. I finally caught sight of what I wanted.

And I saw her.

Yennefer.

You kept your promise.

The Black Knight. No.

Cahir.

I felt my heart skip a beat. And the butterflies.

The beast stirred.

And the sun started the set. 

The Nilfgaardian soldiers who'd arrived previously were already out. Snores and groans of pain commonly permeated the empty air. The others nearly followed suit.

Though, of course, not until they'd set up Cahir's tent.

Darkness enveloped the sky.

And they'd all slept, save the tent which still stirred, a faint light held in its core.

I edged closer.

and closer.

I readied my daggers, creeping into the tent, only to find the officer and general sat on a makeshift bed, half dozed off.

He too, I realized, was tired.

Of the fighting.

Of the Death. Dear Death.

I stood then, hotness in my face, scolding water pushing to leave my eyes.

I gripped my daggers, clenched my teeth, glaring down at the vulnerable man.

But I caught, like my breath, as the air'd done.

And he stirred.

They opened. Those eyes. They went wide.

His lips parted, frozen.

But I couldn't do it. I couldn't strike.

Because then I saw it. He was a man.

Not a Black Knight. No titles.

Just a man.

And we stayed there, hot tears streaming down my face as he looked up at me mesmerized.