{11}

The sight of it was incredible.

It was a large stone castle, sat next to several mountains. Magnificent, daunting, and incredibly cold.

Nearly forgetting to breathe, I asked "what is this place?"

Geralt, who'd been all too silent (yes, possible even for him), actually happened to answer me, his arms still at my sides as he held Roach's reins, "this is where I learned, this is where you will train."

My lips parted in shock, "I don't think-"

The gates of the structure lifted, a heavy, grey-haired man stepped out, keeping his distance. He was littered with leather, chains, and weapons, his gold eyes piercing into Geralt's skin.

"The White Wolf," he said as two other similar-looking men stepped from the gates.

I felt the Witcher's grip tense, his jaw flexing, "Vesemir."

Vesmir stepped forward, drawing his sword as Geralt stepped from Roach. The Wolf walked cautiously to the elderly man, drawing his sword as well.

I sat and gawked, Roach growing unsteady as the two men sneered at each other.

Then the clang of sharp metal reverberated through the crisp air.

Those of us standing to the side observed the two equally matched men duel, their movements hard to track. I dismounted Roach, and took a few steps forward, but dared not tread too close.

Geralt nearly stumbled back, and Vesemir used the opportunity to lift his sword. Thinking the Wolf was in danger, I shouted "Geralt!" as I turned into a dark mist, rushing to his aid. Within seconds, I was in front of the Wolf, the dark smoke merging to take my form once more. I lifted my arm, using my own sharp mist to counter his attack and send him flying back.

Vesemir's eyes widened as he regained his composure, lowering his sword to the side as he shook his head to his men, who had their hands on their sword hilts.

Geralt, who turned out to be perfectly safe, pursed his lips behind me as the last bits of the mist turned whole.

"Who's this then?" Vesemir asked, his voice almost raspy.

Geralt smirked, "inside."

Vesemir sheathed his sword, smiled, then chuckled as he motioned for us to enter.

Hesitantly, I followed, taking in my surroundings.

Through the gates, we were met with a large courtyard, horses, golden-eyed scarred men having conversations, and large equipment. The snow crunched against the soles of my shoes, and the chill in the air made my breath visible.

Vesemir's two men left us after a few of minutes. I stared awkwardly at Geralt and Vesemir as they engaged in conversation.

After walking down a couple of long, isolated corridors, we entered an office area, clustered with papers, wood, and the smell of dust. The fireplace, heated, provided a warm ambiance to the otherwise chilled environment.

The men stood, eying me here and there, before Vesemir asked again, "who is she?"

Geralt pursed his lips, his arms crossed, then, "she's what I was promised some time ago."

Vesemir's eyes shot up, "you mean the Child Surprise?"

Geralt grunted in agreement.

"Bringing her here it's... Unnatural. You know we don't-"

"-What's the Child Surprise?" I asked.

Silence.

"What is your name?" Vesemir asked.