{15}

[Content Warning: Gore]

A dizzying slumber was taken from me when I heard their voices.

I knew who it was, an educated guess based on two.

Yennefer.

Fringilla.

Fringilla.

Something stirred, and my body shot up, watching Geralt and Yennefer embrace.

Some unfamiliar faces,

Fringilla.

My eyes narrowed on her disheveled form, "Fringilla."

And my hands, they clenched into fists, a glow in my eye as I tried desperately not to burn.

But I was seething as I hissed her name.

And while Geralt and Yennefer embraced, I strode towards the mage, the one who'd chased me away.

"Mirabel, I can explain," she said, a look of panic in her eyes, but someone stretched their arm to stop me.

The mother.

"There's no need for violence here," she said.

I closed my eyes a moment, then opened them to stare deep into Fringilla's soul, "you're lucky I've learned to better control my powers."

"Fringilla's helped us, and I believe she helped you too."

I looked at the mother, "Tissaia?"

She nodded, "I trusted that, besides her betrayal, Fringilla would develop some sense. Seems I was right. I've reason to believe she was helping you..." Tissaia shot a side glance at her, "or am I mistaken?"

Fringilla swallowed, "you're not."

"I've heard many things of you Mirabel. I know what you've done, what you're capable of. Once we're finished here, might I suggest you come home with us to our school?"

I looked at Geralt who watched me pursing his lips, then to Yennefer who smiled.

"I..." I started, hesitant. I couldn't abandon my Witcher family, but with Tissaia, I could better learn of my origins and powers.

"Think about it," the woman said catching on to my hesitation, "right now we've bigger concerns."

With that comment, Tissaia went to converse with the other guides. Fringilla, who hugged herself, struggled to make eye contact. Every time I sensed her gaze, she shied away, pacing back and forth awkwardly. I couldn't blame her, surely somewhere somehow, she was compelled to join Nilfgaard. I'd reason to believe Yennefer had something to do with it, but decided my curiosity was to be sated at another time.

Tissaia was right after all, we had other concerns.

Yennefer rushed beside the mother, who now stood shaken atop a rock. Her breath, cold vapors flowing in the air like a stream, jumped as she spoke.

"They've taken so much from us. Taken our homes, our families, our lives. They've forced us into slavery, slaughtered us like lambs. And those of us who turned their backs," she eyed Fringilla and me, "they shall not be blamed, for this is a war that concerns us all. Only when Nilfgaard has yielded, whether by force or recognition, we will not back down."

She looked between those of us from both schools, Witchers and Witches alike, "it is time we finally take back what is ours!"

Exhausted cries erupted from the mages, the Witchers stood brooding and with crossed arms. But regardless of their expression, I saw it in their eyes. We were all ready to put this to an end.