{04}

We ransacked the city.

Well, they did... I did most of the burning.

The sensation of the heat, caressing my skin, was comforting.

The screams, the cries, they added to the symphony.

A shadow took over me that day.

I'd have never seen myself like this, not before my innocence was gone. I began to understand what Cahir had said the day I met him, that we were both drawn to violence.

Drawn to the power.

The blood.

The adrenaline.

I'd heard stories once, gossip in my old village. The story of how the so-called lioness was overtaken in the Battle of Marnadal months prior. Then I remembered too that she insulted Lord Peregrine once when he attempted to take her hand in marriage, with the King present mind you. This occurred in celebration shortly after her first victory.

Fifteen.

All rise for Her Majesty, the Lioness, Queen Calanthe of Cintra!

Yes, praise your Queen, the same one responsible for your deaths.

My lips curled, eying the castle gates. Accompanied by soldiers, Cahir in pursuit, we broke in.

The guards tried to welcome us, I greeted them warmly.

My hair blew from the exuberated force of the flames.

And, within moments, more Nilfgaardian troops stormed the castle.

"Find her," Cahir started, "kill her on sight."

I rushed through the stone halls, shit, blood, and sweat filling my nostrils.

The scent of war.

The smell of fear.

I found the throne room, pushed the heavy wooden doors open.

She stood there, frazzled, bloodied.

Death was everywhere.

Anger streamed from her eyes.

His Majesty lay dead against one of the pillars.

She turned to me sharply, "here to kill me too?" she snapped, a hand over a wound.

I said nothing, black mist sealing the doors behind us.

"Look at you," she started, "young, fierce,... This isn't your first time, is it?"

I shook my head, "of course not."

She scoffed, "they've made the job easy for you then," she peered down at her wound, "I'll be gone in minutes."

"Minutes..." I sighed, "can be a lifetime of joy. I get to watch you suffer, to die."

"Pray tell, what's your name child?"

"Mirabel."

"And where are you from?"

"I come from a small village, a few miles from the Southern border."

"They forced this upon you, didn't they?" She nodded at my clothing, and the streaks of white in my hair.

"I chose to become this, Majesty."

She shook her head, "a child should never have to go through this. I'm almost grateful my daughter isn't here to see this."

I tilted my head.