iii

4900 B.C.

"Gil, you have to leave the kitchen at some point." Aakashi urged, pulling him away to the table. "You've been cooking all day, you have to at least enjoy it with us." 

"I just wanted to make sure that everything is perfect for our one hundredth birthday." He laughed, pulling out a chair beside Ajak, who sat at the head of the long table, and opposite Thena. Ikaris eyed her enviously, having wanted to be sat at Ajak's right. "Dig in, everybody."

They all began to reach over each other, asking for far away bowls and dishes. "Can you pass me those?" Aakashi asked Druig, who sat on her left. 

As he passed the dish to her and everyone started to talk to each other, creating a cacophony of noise, he turned to her: Aakashi hadn't wanted anyone to feel left out, and had taken the seat at the end, along with Sersi opposite her. Druig had jumped at the chance to accompany her. "How will you be celebrating the rest of our birthday?" He asked. 

"Well... I was thinking of going to see the herd of horses just outside the village. I picked some apples for them yesterday." She told him, looking down at her plate. "Would you like to join me?"

"How could I possible say no?" He teased, nudging her shoulder.

She laughed, creating dimples on her cheeks. "I'll meet you by the doors about ten minutes after we're finished here." She told him quietly, hoping no one else would try and join. He nodded slightly in response.

-

"You ready?" She skipped down the hall to where Druig was already stood, looking wistfully at the sky.

"I suppose you're going to make it sunny." He started as they began walking side by side. 

"If I don't, the horses won't want to come and see us." She explained as the clouds started to part, letting the rays of sunlight stroke their heads and shoulders. "Why?"

"I like the rain." He said wistfully, as if he were considering trying to force her to make it so.

She nudged her shoulder against his as they walked, laughing quietly. "I'll make sure it rains tonight then." He looked at her, as if surprised.

"Thank you." Druig told her. He couldn't pull his eyes away from her as she began to plait her hair, the wind blowing against their backs. She'd often refrained from needlessly killing the wind, as she knew the plants needed to disperse their seeds. 

When she was finished, it hung down her back loosely, ending at the small of her back. It swayed gently in the wind, and loose strands tickled her face. "What are you staring at?" She asked, noticing as his pace slowed. 

"Nothing." He smiled.