xv

430 B.C.

Aakashi stood in the centre of a crowd, her mouth wide open with laughter. They were all dancing, and she spun around, letting her cape flick at their ankles. The music was jumpy and loud, and she could barely hear herself think. 

She suddenly caught sight of Druig, leant against a wall with his arms crossed against his chest, smiling at her. He loved to watch her dancing, and as she stopped moving, her hair fell and landed over her shoulders. She cut through the people, jogging up to him and standing in front of him, a careful distance between them. "Hey, wallflower." She teased, earning a smile from him. 

"Hey. Aren't you going to finish this song?" 

"Nope. I'm going to sneak out with you." She told him laughingly, and he raised his chin knowingly.

"Ten minutes."

"By the tree." Aakashi turned on her heel, walking back through the crowd to the other side of the great hall. She walked to the window, whose panes were pushed outwards. The window sill was up to Aakashi's knees. She turned around, seeing Ajak on the other side of the room talking to Druig as he tried to excuse himself. She smiled, jumping out of the window and landing on the ground beneath. 

-

"Hey."

"Took you long enough." She grinned as he came up to her, wrapping his arms around her waist, rocking slightly. He looked up at her, his eyes shining in the moonlight.

"Sorry. Ajak was suspicious." She placed her hands on his cheeks, placing her lips on his. They leant against the tree, her back pressed against the bark. The music from the party could still be heard, a distant echo. The music slowed, turning into an elegant melody.

Aakashi swayed lightly with the beat, pulling away from Druig so that she could look at him clearly. "You're the most incredible being in the universe." She whispered, her voice honest and genuine. "Nothing in the cosmos could hold a candle to you."

"I disagree." He smiled, pushing his forehead against hers gently, leaning upwards slightly to do so.

"Oh, really?"

"Mhm." He lifted a stray strand of hair and tucked it behind her hair. "You're exquisite." He murmured. "I could never compare." 

"How about..." She began, feigning deep thought. "We're tied. For best beings in the universe."

"Okay." He nodded, grinning. "I'll allow it." He went to kiss her again as she giggled, pulling her closer.