xxi

1531 A.D.

Aakashi woke slowly, her eyes adjusting to the darkness of the room. She moved to her side to see Druig, already awake, spinning a stand of her hair around his finger. "Hey."

"Good morning." He murmured, smiling when he saw her.

"I will always love being able to wake up beside you." She whispered, reaching over to plant a kiss on his cheek. He laughed, pulling her back before she could go back to lying down.

"Me too." Before she could respond, his eyes grew gold and she looked to the door, seeing a woman begin to turn away and close the door. 

She laughed, turning back to Druig. "It might be important." He brought her back, letting his eyes return to blue.

"Sorry for the intrusion, but the men are fighting in the village again."  Druig leapt out of bed, pulling the covers off and not bothering to change or put on shoes. Aakashi followed, pulling on a robe before she left. 

Their home was just a little bit further from the centre of the village, and as they ran into the clearing in front of the town hall, Aakashi could see four or five men in a brawl: some had knives, while others just had their bare hands. 

They started to separate, to stand stock still and face the pair. Their weapons were dropped, and their eyes began to dim. "What was it this time?" Druig asked, his voice loud and commanding.

"It was nothing, Druig." Spoke one of them.

"We're sorry."

"Clean yourselves up and apologise to each other. Stop acting like children." He told them, making sure they all nodded in agreement. He turned, and Aakashi followed him, lacing her fingers with his. 

"You okay?"

"I'll never understand them. Truly." He said solemnly, before turning to her and grinning. 

-

"So, what do you wanna do today?" Aakashi asked as she tied saffron coloured fabric around her chest, tightening the loose dress she wore beneath it. 

"What were you thinking?"

"Well, I'd love to go for a walk along the river. Then probably do a little teaching." She thought, turning to see Druig lying on the bed, his hands behind his head. 

"Can I come with you?"

She laughed. "Of course. But I'm not sure that you'll want to hang out with a load of kids."

"That's fine. I'll just sit at the side." 

Aakashi made her way over to him, pulling him up so that his chest was pressed against hers. "Okay. If you're sure you won't get bored." She leant forward, kissing his nose before jumping away eith his hand in hers, headed towards the door. "C'mon."

He let her pull him away, a grin plastered across his face.