vii

1983 B.C.

Aakashi stepped out of the shower, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around her body. Her hair tumbled down her shoulders, dripping onto the floor. She rung it out, twisting the water down the drain. 

In her bedroom, she picked out a light peplos from her closet, laying it on her bed as she dried herself. 

As she slipped the fabric over her head, letting it hang loosely over her shoulders and cinching her waist, her back turned to the door, she heard Druig walk in, pausing as he saw her. "Druig!"

"What?"

"You can't just walk in without knocking." She told him as she picked up her towel and turned to face him. "You almost saw me getting changed." She added, placing her hands on his chest and pushing him out of the room.

"I'm sorry." He apologised, a hint of a smirk on his lips. "I just came to ask what you were doing today."

"Probably not a lot. There's no moon tonight, so I might go stargazing." She answered once he was out of her room and they stood in the hallway, her hair dripping on the floor.

"I'll see you then." He told her, turning and walking back to his own room, his footsteps echoing down the hall.

"That wasn't an invitation!" She called after him, knowing it was useless.

"Can't wait." He said back, looking over his shoulder and grinning. 

Aakashi smiled to herself, turning back into her room and closing the door behind herself. 

-

Aakashi got up from her bed when she heard three polite knocks on her door. "Thank you for knocking." She told Druig once she'd opened the door. He was leaning against the frame, smiling to himself.

"You're welcome." He told her. "C'mon." He started walking before she could even close her door, making her jog slightly to catch up with him.

Outside the Domo, the night air was cold and fresh, and smelt of newly cut grass. "So, where are we going?" He asked, turning back to her. She grinned, pointing to the top of a low hill, the highest point in the flat area they were. 

"Up there. Let's go." She grabbed his arm, hooking hers inside it.  He looked at their linked arms, smiling as she pulled him forwards. 

-

"What does that one look like?"

"An axe."

"You're looking at it wrong."

"Maybe I'm the only one looking at it right." He turned his head to face her, looking away from the stars. They were both laying on the ground, their hands resting on their stomachs. She laughed, a sweet song to his ears. "I love hearing you laugh." He murmured, his smile softening. "And making you laugh."

"When will you ever stop?" She whispered back, a sad smile appearing on her face.

"Do you want me to?"

"No." She replied, her eyebrows furrowing with confusion. "But I don't want to be the cause of your pain."

"I'm not in pain." He whispered. "Because I know you like me." He answered simply. "That's enough." 

"Is it?" She asked, and she suddenly looked pained herself. He nodded, waiting for her to speak again. She looked back up to the sky, a tear rolling down the side of her face. "Because it isn't for me." She whispered, barely making any noise.

She felt Druig's hand pulling her face towards him again, close enough that she could see his pupils dilate. "We can be together." He breathed. "All you have to do is say so."

"I..." She started, her eyes searching for a way, a reason not to say yes. "Can't."

"Ajak?" She nodded silently, biting her lip so she didn't break down. "I understand." He reassured her, stroking her cheek with his thumb. "It's okay."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay."