xvi

36 B.C.

Aakashi stood on a bare plain, her hands stretched out beside her as the clouds gathered. They crackled and flashed blue, and long streaks of light reached towards the floor before her as she guided it. 

A deviant stood before her, its tail whipping behind it as it reared its head. It charged towards her, and she pushed her hands forward, striking it with lightning. Her hair started to flick outwards and fly past her head, towards the deviant, as she brought a gust of wind forward to push it back. 

Ikaris flew above it, hitting it repeatedly with a beam of light. 

Aakashi readied herself again, gathering another bolt of lightning, when the deviant that Gilgamesh had been working on behind her swung its tail violently. It made contact with her stomach, and she flew threw the air, squeezing her eyes shut and bracing herself. 

She collapsed into the side of a wooden hut, empty, thankfully, as the inhabitants had just left under Druig's command. She groaned, rolling over as chunks of debris landed around her and she tried to push herself up.

"Kashi!" Druig was by her side in a flash, one hand on her shoulder and the other slipping under her stomach, pulling her up and out of the rubble. "Come here, I've got you." He whispered, kneeling on the floor and laying her head on his legs. He looked down at her, concern painted on his face. "Ajak's with Sprite. Hold on for a moment." His hands were clasped around her face, keeping her still.

"I'm fine."

"You're bleeding." He told her, and she reached up to the side of her forehead to feel the sticky blood mixing with dirt.

"Oh. I guess I am." She lay still for a moment, looking up at him as he looked down at her. "You sure we should be sat like this when Ajak comes over?" 

Gently, he lifted her head, moving himself out from under it. She slowly sat up, clutching her head, wincing slightly. "Better?" He asked, smiling slightly.

"Sort of." 

"Aakashi!" Ajak ran over, her hand stretched out at the ready. She knelt down besides her, slowly waving her hand over Aakashi's head and waist, where her suit had been sliced open and blood was tinging the edges red. "Are you okay?"

"Yep. Thanks." She smiled, standing up, wobbling slightly. Druig's hand crept towards her back, stabilizing her. 

"It looks like they're all gone now." Ajak told them, looking behind the pair at the lifeless corpses that had scorch marks printed all over their bodies. "I'm going to go check on everyone." She patted Aakashi's shoulder, moving past her.

"I'm going to get the people that ran into the woods back." Druig said, planting a kiss on her cheek. "Love you."

"Love you too." She smiled watching him walk towards the trees beside the village. He turned back, winking at her over his shoulder.